GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default propane tanks for a 93 suburban k2500?

i have been trying to source out propane tanks for a 93 suburban k2500.
    i have the truck with the propane system in it but no tanks.
    i think it used to have a tank behind the seats (but it was gone when i bought the truck)
    but i would prefer to have the tanks frame mounted
    but not so low that i could not take the truck off road.
    and i want to keep the truck dual fuel gas and propane.

anyone have a suburban on propane that you can post pics of tank placement and tank dimensions?

thanks.

nutz

Legend

I would check with laws before you go and do the frame mounted tanks. If something happened, like an accident, regardless of fault you could have some serious lawsuits against you.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Default propane tanks for a 93 suburban k2500

It doesnt matter if its Weber or not. All tanks made since 1995 have the check valve.

A LPG Tank (propane) is more safer than a regularize gas tank and it’s having a safety valves.

This pictures gives you an idea how mine LPG setup is it’s on a Suburban 454cui Th400 ’79 with a new LPG IMPCO 300A Mixer 180Ltr tank.

With this setup i can switch while i driving to LPG or normal gas.
    You can see on the last picture next to the vaporizer the electric valve thats shutdown the gas flow while it's running on LPG.

On normal gas it's runs on 1Ltr 4-5Km on LPG 1Ltr to 2,5Km but Normal gas cost 1,40Euro/Ltr and LPG 0,50Euro/Ltr so it's still cheaper to run on LPG.
    Last edited by DutchSuburban; 11-30-2009 at 12:20 PM.

If only LPG conversions were cheap and available in the US... Not to mention finding people to fill the LPG tank.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Yes LPG is safer if properly vented to the atmosphere, unfortunately in the U.S. each state has different regulations on fuel tank mounting that normally dont diferentiate between Gasoline or LPG and most states wouldnt allow any fuel tank to be mounted inside of the cab of the vehicle unless it had a steel fire barrier that totally blocked vapors or fire from entering the cabin.
    The setup you have there would be a big no no being the covers made from carpet covered plywood.

I have a frame mounted propane tank on my 89. I bought the truck with everything done by the previous owner. I snapped some pics.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/IMG_1486.jpg
    http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/IMG_1485.jpg
    http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/IMG_1484.jpg
    http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/IMG_1483.jpg

It says 17 gallons on the tank, but im not sure. Haven't filled it up yet. It spans from the transmission crossmember to the rear leaf attachment with just the two frame mounts. I know, it looks like a torpedo.
    1989 GMC Suburban SLE 2500 4WD 5.7L Granny 4-speed
    1987 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L 5-speed
    1987 Honda Interceptor VFR700

Quote Originally Posted by bucklti View Post
    I have a frame mounted propane tank on my 89. I bought the truck with everything done by the previous owner. I snapped some pics.

It says 17 gallons on the tank, but im not sure. Haven't filled it up yet. It spans from the transmission crossmember to the rear leaf attachment with just the two frame mounts. I know, it looks like a torpedo.
    If you have a car 4x2 or letís say a car on normal height then itís very difficult to mount a propane cylinder/tank under the car or itís gone be a small tank.
    (Thatís the only reason for me to get it inside the car a propane tank)
    If you have a 4x4 or a body lifted truck than itís a lot easier to mounted a propane tank under the car.
    What some guyís do over here in Holland is they get rid of everything what guts to do with gas
    Even the fuel tank, en on that space where shut be the fuel tank they mount there the propane tank, or tanks.
    En build a 30Ltr (8Galons) fuel tank some ware else and thatís only for if you run out of propane the you can drive on gas to the next petrol station.