GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default exhaust help?????

ok so i think im maturing slowly i love how quiet my suburban 2500 with the 6.0L is but i want the growl when i punch it not necessarily inside the cab lol is there any exhaust right now that are nice and quiet at idle and normal driving but open up nicely when you punch it i am afraid of a constant drone it is a plow truck and i do enjoy my peace and quiet at times any ideas what to do????????????????

Default Don't know for sure, but...

I don't know about your application, but I can tell you my experience. Check out your exhaust system, you may have a "resonator" at the end, which is a little muffler near the end of the exhaust system after the main muffler that is there to cut out a bit of the burble. My dad has an Escalade with a 5.3L, and he had that resonator removed and a tip put on to get the sound he wanted. That's probably the cheapest option to add a little sound and a little chrome.

Apart from that, I'd just caution you on the size of the pipe. 2.5" is most likely all you need. Blown cars tend to like as little back pressure as possible, especially turbos (which itself provides all the back pressure the engine wants) but going too big on an N/A engine will actually make you lose power. Turbos also act to reduce noise, so you can go with a more aggressive muffler.

I had a 3.8L Supercharged car I put a 3" to 2.5" duals, and it droned. I tried 3 different mufflers in the 3" section to act as a resonator, but I couldn't shake the drone. My first problem was that 2.5" was too big - 2x 2.25" equal the flow of a 3" pipe. Besides that, the 3" was bigger than I really needed.

As far as mufflers, I had the Walker/Dynomax Super Turbos, and they sounded allright. I've heard great things about Magnaflow mufflers, and the 6.0 guys seem to really like them. For a bit more, people like Borla, and Corsa is also well regarded but is probably the most expensive you can get. The best thing you can do is go to a car show or a club meeting and find someone with a car like yours and listen to what they have. Some of the better shops will have videos of their systems on common platforms so that you can get an idea of what it will do for you.

There are several cat-back systems to look at, from names like Gibson, Ultra Flow (Walker/Dynomax), MBRP and SLP.

So, in a nutsheel - check out other people's rides, think about cutting out the resonator (if you have one) and make the most informed decision you can. Still, the best exhaust sound is very subjective, and because of that I haven't seen an exhaust shop that will guarantee that they can deliver exactly what you're looking for.

thanks for the input im thinking corsa right now

Like this? I forgot to say that YouTube has a lot of clips...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnyrStwU_WQ"]YouTube- 05 Silverado w/ JBA headers and Corsa Exhaust[/ame]

...and I think Corsa makes the best tips. Expensive, but beautiful!
    1972 350 GMC Sprint (under construction) :whip:
    2003 Corvette Z06 (staying stock) :love:

2000 4.8L Silverado Workhorse
    - DynaTech long tube headers, leveled