GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default my first suburban

I have bought my first suburban, a 98 1500 4wd. I have had nothing but problems from day 1. I refuse to give up on it, I,m hoping to get everthing worked out. My suburban had 10000 on it when I bought it. The millage did not bother me at all, my research showed others with 200000 or more and still running strong. After the third payment the motor went out under normal driving, that cost 2,500 dollars. I have spent 500.00 on front end work, and now a senser is out. I live in Oklahoma and travel frequently to the Texas gulf coast fishing, the trips are why I bought it. I just hope I can keep it running, maybe I just got a bad one.

Sorry about your troublems with the vehicle. It's no fun getting something new and then having problems.

Now, your post said "10,000 on it", I assume that's a typo and you meant "100,000 miles"?

The thing about buying any used "pre-owned" vehicle is that you're never quite 100% sure about the history of it. Has it been abused, neglected or maintained?

How about a little bit more detail. What type of engine do you have it in? What type of front end work had to be done? What sensor went out?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend

Wow, that stinks. It's a little late now, but I would suggest getting a carfax report. I honestly thought that there were no records on my suburban, but I got a carfax anyway. It was sold in Florida which I knew, but it was involved in an accident with a fixed object in January of '94.
    (Must have been one of those freak snow storms in FL.)

At least with a carfax report you'll have a slightly better idea of it's history.

Please reply with the sensor info. Odd's are that you can replace it yourself and save yourself the labor costs.

On the flip side, the more you fix the less suprises you'll have down the road.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Default RE: my first suburban

Thank you for your reponse, Before I bought the suburban I got the serial numbers off it and did a carfax. The carfax showed no problems, I also asked the dealer for the previous owner phone number so I could contact them about the history. The dealer told me there was a new privacy law and they could not give me that info. they told me the suburban belonged to a local attorney and they could contact him and he could get in touch with me (if he wanted to).I never got a response. I thought since a attornry had owned it the maintance should have been good. I replaced the motor a 5.7 liter with on e from a 2000 Escalade with 40000 miles, total cost was 2,500 dollars for motor and labor

anyone can get a bad one. i fancy myself as a pritty good mechanic and just bought a 94 with a 180,000 miles and just had to do head gaskets on it. luckuly i did it myself with a friends help. next time when you take any car or truck for a test drive take it to a mechanic you can trust and have him go from tailpipe to grill. pay him his hourly rate, it is worth it even if he finds nothing wrong, then you know what your looking at.
    carfax as far as i know is only good for mechanical if the work was done at the dealer, i think. and if the guy just ran it into the ground and then bought new whos to know if he didnt maintain it.
    as far as the sensor in the front end again what sensor, or is it the four wheel drive actuator?

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123
    next time when you take any car or truck for a test drive take it to a mechanic you can trust and have him go from tailpipe to grill. pay him his hourly rate, it is worth it even if he finds nothing wrong, then you know what your looking at.
    Great advice!!

Just curious how everything worked out on that. Please respond if you have anything to update.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today