GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GM Trucks and Gas Gadge Problems

First let me introduce myself, My name is Chuck and I am from Kenton Ohio, From being the questionable Word. I am getting ready to move to a little town called Friendsville in TN. Yee Haa.....
    The problem I am having after buying a 1998 GMC Sierra 3 door 4 WD with a 5.7 Vortec is,,, The Gas Gadge. It has never been right and I ran out of gas one time because after showing I had 3/4 of a tank of gas the gadge went up to Full and I thought oh I have more gas then I thought. Good Deal, WRONG! the tank was empty.
    So Does anyone know what causes this problem and what does one do to fix it.
    By the way,, Thanks to the Admin folks and all of you here for such a nice place, I never knew such a place existed until I got mad about the gas gadge and went in search for some help and some guy on the computer wanted me to pay him 48.00$$ to answer my question.
    Last edited by eagle542807; 11-22-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Welcome to GMTC. It is a great place to hang out and share about all things GM.

As far as your gauge problems, are the rest of the gauges working correctly?
    I ask because there is a known problem with instrument clusters that requires you to replace the entire dash cluster. If it is just the gas gauge, then it is most likely the sender in the fuel tank. Some find it easier to remove the entire bed, rather than drop the tank. Do a search on "fuel sender" or "fuel pump" replacement for the info on how to do the job.

btw, the gauge on my 93 burb isn't working properly either. I'm waiting for the fuel pump to crap out before I have to drop the tank. I just record the mileage on the odometer and top the tank off every 200 miles. I keep the fuel tank above 1/4 because I believe the fuel helps the fuel pump cooler, extending its life.
    Last edited by unplugged; 11-22-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club!

I am from around Cleveland Ohio, so why are you leaving Ohio. Can't find any good jobs up here, I know a lot of people I know are moving because of that reason.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Hi Guys, Thanks for the reply. Lets see if I can answer som of the questions. Its only the gas gauage. Everything else works great. I was told by my machanic that yes taking the bed off would be the way to go with the repair and he wants about $250.00 to fix it and that encludes the cost of the wiring harness and and a new fuel pump. he said that if your gonna go through all the hassle you might as well replace the pump. I am of the nature that if it isn't broke don't fix it. And Yes I do keep track of the milage. and the reason of the move, Well my wife left me and I am retired. Got a friend that invited me to come to TN and live. She has a big garage, Completely insolated, concrete floor Drywalled on the inside and is giving me full run of the place. Now tell me if you were in my shoes what would you do?. LOL
    Chuck, Soon to be from Ohio and within two week from TN. 1998 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.7 Vortec 3 Door 4 WD
    And Im sure im gonna love this site!:glasses:

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome to the site! I would do the same thing! It sounds like you need to get away for a while. I had to when my wife left me, I had to leave Texas and come to Colorado! All my ex's do live in Texas I agree with unplugged, that may be the problem. Good Luck! Hope you work things out, and get it fixed.
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)