GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Fuel filter unreplaceable for 04 Sierra, terrible idea GM

I have an 04 Sierra 5.3l, last week I couldn't get her to start so I pulled off a fuel line and bypassed the pump relay to see if I got flow. Pump was humming but no flow. Well, after the pain of dropping the tank and getting the fuel pump assembly apart, I got to the fuel pump intake filter which was clogged badly with what I suspect to be diesel Mixed with water bacteria growth from the local fuel company, that's another story.
    After calling the dealer to find the part, they said no replacement filter is available so I would have to buy the entire fuel pump assembly, list price @ $400+. Now GM that is just plain assanine and a terrible design flaw.
    Does anybody sell a replacement filter Aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by Akdball View Post
    I have an 04 Sierra 5.3l, last week I couldn't get her to start so I pulled off a fuel line and bypassed the pump relay to see if I got flow. Pump was humming but no flow. Well, after the pain of dropping the tank and getting the fuel pump assembly apart, I got to the fuel pump intake filter which was clogged badly with what I suspect to be diesel Mixed with water bacteria growth from the local fuel company, that's another story.
    After calling the dealer to find the part, they said no replacement filter is available so I would have to buy the entire fuel pump assembly, list price @ $400+. Now GM that is just plain assanine and a terrible design flaw.
    Does anybody sell a replacement filter Aftermarket?
    I would check with one of are Sponsor's[Vendor] here on the site,GM Direct Parts....they may have better Pricing??
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 11-23-2009 at 02:25 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks for the suggestion, But I need the non replaceable filter not a whole new pump. Why would gm do this is beyond reason!

That filter isint really a filter, more of a strainer. all ( or at least most ) vehicles have one of these before the fuel pump. its there to keep large forigen material from getting into your fuel pump and binding it up. some cars have two of these. usually these will only get clogged by bad / dirty fuel.

Default Spraying fuel out of small hole on top of the pump, anyone know why?

Well I rigged up another strainer for a different model pump, with some
    jb weld and wire tie. Looks like I will work but, mow the fuel pump is spraying gas out of a hole on top of the pump instead of the fuel line out. Anyone know why this may be happening, bypass or something?