GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 700R4 tranny questions

Hey all!! I am new to the GM truck club, and im so glad i found this site!!! Im in the middle of putting a pretty straight old 88 chevy Z71 reg cab shortbed back together after it had been abused by a youngster for awhile. I got a good deal on the truck, and have had the 3:42 rebuilt, and now were trying to get the transmission worked out. NOW i have been duped... a bit on the tranny, and have a serious question about the 700R4..... I have 2 of them now, and both are bad... the one in the truck was supposedly rebuilt and fine.... well rebuilt and sat for a year with no fluid in it... but that came out WAY after the install was done. ANYWAY the truck motor is supposedly cammed up a bit, and bored a little... some folks are saying the 700r4 cant handle the torque and power of the rebuilt engine, and i need to go with a turbo 350 or turbo 400 tranny.... is this true... OR if i go to the transmission shop, get a FRESHLY rebuilt 700R4 (so i can core swap) will this be fine for my truck. This vehicle is pretty stock, and will not be used for HEAVY towing..... maybe some highway use... but mostly running around town and out to the farm....

Please help, i am really confused by all this tranny talk!!!
    thanks.....

Depends on how many horses you have coming out. I have seen a lot of 700r4's being built up to mach the higher horsepower ranges, but I would just ask the tranny shop what they think.

Im told it is estimated at 375hp at the crank... has flat top pistons and a mild cam.... shouldn't be too much for a standard rebuilt 700r4 should it???

do they make a th350 conversion kit for a 700r4 or anything like that??

The 700r4 should be able to handle that engine, earlier 700r4's had issues but if your using a rebuilt one it shouldnt have those problems it'll be upgraded.

Have you put fluid in the trans? Some of the seals might have dried out but thats real hard to tell, it really depends on how it was stored, it might be ok.

What problems is the trans having that make you need to change it?

yeah we used a lucas tranny fix with the trans fluid. The trans had been sitting in a barn after the rebuild, and sat there for over a year. ALSO it is a 700r4 out of an 87, don't know if that made any difference. The reason i know it needs changed is it shifted erratically, then as soon as the fluid gets hot its stops moving... ha ha....

Ill go with another 700r4 from a tranny shop with a warranty and hope for the best!

thanks