GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default supercharger or turbo ?????

i dont know what to do...supercharger or turbo....i know that with supercharger there is no lag it is indstant power compared to turbo you have lag...i just want to know what one will give me the most power, which on maybe a little easier on the pocket book, and most reliable...anything helps

from what I have understood there isnt much difference other than how it get the airflow and exhaust. even alot of supercharger kits look just like turbos.

this seems to show some good info
    http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19

On older cars I like the supercharger with the carbs sticking out the hood, butterfly scoop etc. a supercharger in my truck would only be a dream
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Supercharger starts providing power near idle, turbo starts a little higher in the power band.
    They both need fuel system upgrades, they both would rather burn premium fuel and can start pinging if not running premium. Turbo's usually get a little better fuel mileage.
    If you tow a lot the Supercharger would work better for you since in reality you would want the hp throughout the RPM range to help with the extra load.
    If you just like driving fast the Turbo would work better in the high RPM range.
    If you like your money you wont like either one as they lead to necessary upgrades $$, higher fuel cost, and more broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Supercharger starts providing power near idle, turbo starts a little higher in the power band.
    They both need fuel system upgrades, they both would rather burn premium fuel and can start pinging if not running premium. Turbo's usually get a little better fuel mileage.
    If you tow a lot the Supercharger would work better for you since in reality you would want the hp throughout the RPM range to help with the extra load.
    If you just like driving fast the Turbo would work better in the high RPM range.
    If you like your money you wont like either one as they lead to necessary upgrades $$, higher fuel cost, and more broken parts.
    What he said!
    Padre (Chip)
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace -- Jimi Hendrix

2009 Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab, long bed, Blue Granite

absolutely reccommend a supercharger no one turbos a v8 gas motor the supercharger is easier to install and will last longer ad perform better for truck driving it will give u low end torque and make you truck fly turbos are for civic not big v8s

Talking

HOLY S**T!!! I just went to that HP calculato and with 8PSI and a 2-core intercooler with 92 octane my gain will be from 255HP(stock) to 401HP (with supercharger,intercooler,updated fuel system,and 92 octane).WOWWWEEEEE I hope that calculator is right man wouldnt know what to do with all that HP!! An after reading that articale on supercharger vs. turbocharger im goin with the supercharger!!! Cant wait man i love this club you guys are the greatest sniff...sniffff....
    FoRdAsSaSiN

Yeah man, supercharger is by far the cheapest and the way most people go. The largest complaint is belt slip or breaking them but when done properly they are just as fast or faster. Not to toot my own horn but my truck on 22's and pump gas was beating some twin turbo rides.

Your biggest decision now is if you want a roots style or centrifugal blower.

Quote Originally Posted by FordAssasin View Post
    HOLY S**T!!! I just went to that HP calculato and with 8PSI and a 2-core intercooler with 92 octane my gain will be from 255HP(stock) to 401HP (with supercharger,intercooler,updated fuel system,and 92 octane).WOWWWEEEEE I hope that calculator is right man wouldnt know what to do with all that HP!! An after reading that articale on supercharger vs. turbocharger im goin with the supercharger!!! Cant wait man i love this club you guys are the greatest sniff...sniffff....
    I think you will ceate a 410 hp grenade. That motor wasn't designed to handle nearly 80% more output. Neither is the tranny, suspension, brakes, tie rods etc... Try to find someone else who did that and see if his motor lasted a while before the inevetable rebuild. Just a thought man I used to race cars (non pro) and these were common issues that came up.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

I like the turbo myself, it can be basically a "sleeper" - by the time yo can hear it, it's too late. If you want cheap, go with nitrous. It's considered a chemical blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey1384 View Post
    I like the turbo myself, it can be basically a "sleeper" - by the time yo can hear it, it's too late. If you want cheap, go with nitrous. It's considered a chemical blower.
    Anything can be a sleeper. Nitrous runs out and needs prep time to use it. Both turbo and supercharger will always be on tap. Forced Induction for the win

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by