GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: DIC equations

Default DIC equations

Can anyone tell me exactly how the average MPG is calculated one the DIC?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome to the site!Glad to have you here! I'm not sure, but someone maybe able to help you out! This is a new post, so as soon as members start looking at it, you should get a reply fast!
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club!

Honestly I don't think that the DIC really works all that well, my last truck I know it was way off but I think it has to do with running conditions of the vehicle.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I haven't read it anywhere official, but here's how I'd probably design it:

Arguably the PCM's main purpose is to calculate how much fuel to inject to get the right air:fuel mixture. The PCM controls the amount of fuel going into the engine by controlling the "pulse width" for the injectors (how long the injector is held open). A precesely built fuel injector operating at a certain pressure, will deliver a certain amount of fuel in a given time (think of the lb/hour rating for most injectors). If you know how fast fuel is being delivered to the engine (gal/hour) and you know the vehicle speed (from the VSS), you can divide those two numbers to get a measure of mpg.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I haven't read it anywhere official, but here's how I'd probably design it:

Arguably the PCM's main purpose is to calculate how much fuel to inject to get the right air:fuel mixture. The PCM controls the amount of fuel going into the engine by controlling the "pulse width" for the injectors (how long the injector is held open). A precesely built fuel injector operating at a certain pressure, will deliver a certain amount of fuel in a given time (think of the lb/hour rating for most injectors). If you know how fast fuel is being delivered to the engine (gal/hour) and you know the vehicle speed (from the VSS), you can divide those two numbers to get a measure of mpg.