GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I own a 2003 LT as well and I'm having the same problem. I talked to my dealer and he told me that I have to replace the Lift Gate molding. Which will cost me $288 and then I have to take it to a body shop so they can match the paint. So if any of you guys were able to get help from the manufacture.

Default Lift Gate Issue on Trailblazer

I would like to know if anyone having this issue was ever able to get a satisfactory resolution from GM? I've already had this repaired/replaced once and it is now happening again.

Default tail gate

Quote Originally Posted by stevewhite View Post
    I have a 2003 trailblazer ext LT
    I am happy because I temporarily fixed the problem but there is a design flaw in the molding so I know it will lift off the hinges again.
    1. Molding sticks out too much at sides allowing wind to get under and pull it away from hinges.
    2. Pastic C shaped parts that fit over hinge need to have a clip to hold them on because wind pulls them away and the plastic molding becomes a wind brake. The C design is a good design but it is backwards, the resistance of wind should be pushing the clips into the hinge not pulling them away.
    3. If anyone says the problem is you damaged the hinges which is causing the problem they are mistaken because when the clips slip off the hinges and the molding acts like a wind brake it is also bending your hinges that are glued to the rear window. I know this because I had to bend them down into their proper position. I don't recommend this though because the glass might break or the hinge might separate from the window.
    The dealer I go to said they have replaced a few of these tailgate moldings. I asked for some new tape to secure it back to the glass and so far so good. I also recomend people regularly tighten the bolts holding the molding to the glass. A locking washer wouldn't hurt either.

First I am not familiar with the problem, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

First most people hear and on my other forums know of my hatred of engineers.

When I worked at the factory we actually got one to come down to the assembly line for a problem.

After showing the problem to the so called engineer, his answer was, and I quote.

“It worked on paper.”

I have also run into this problem with engineers on job sites I have worked on in construction. They never admit they are wrong just.

“It worked on paper.”

They have no idea about the real world.

A picture of the offending problem could help us to help you with the problem.

You said in your post that nuts loosen up. Try Lock Tight next time.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewhite View Post
    I have a 2003 trailblazer ext LT
    I am happy because I temporarily fixed the problem but there is a design flaw in the molding so I know it will lift off the hinges again.
    1. Molding sticks out too much at sides allowing wind to get under and pull it away from hinges.
    2. Pastic C shaped parts that fit over hinge need to have a clip to hold them on because wind pulls them away and the plastic molding becomes a wind brake. The C design is a good design but it is backwards, the resistance of wind should be pushing the clips into the hinge not pulling them away.
    3. If anyone says the problem is you damaged the hinges which is causing the problem they are mistaken because when the clips slip off the hinges and the molding acts like a wind brake it is also bending your hinges that are glued to the rear window. I know this because I had to bend them down into their proper position. I don't recommend this though because the glass might break or the hinge might separate from the window.
    The dealer I go to said they have replaced a few of these tailgate moldings. I asked for some new tape to secure it back to the glass and so far so good. I also recomend people regularly tighten the bolts holding the molding to the glass. A locking washer wouldn't hurt either.
    Thanks Steve I too own a 2003 TB EXT and will check this. Glass is hard to shut from time to time so I stopped opening it this way. Thanks for heads up.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Default Now this lift gate problem happen to us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by damiantote View Post
    I am just today beginning my path to have this problem corrected. I will post updates as to how my situation is handled. If anyone else begins to experience the same problem, PLEASE post to this topic. As of now, there is no recall posted for this.

The problem: the rear tailgate will NOT fully open. Basically what is happening is that the top plastic piece (which has the third brake light built in) is out of alingment and pushes against the hinges when attempting to raise the gate (either the full gate or just the glass). There is a HUGE gap now between the roof and the upper plastic piece - big enough that when the door is closed I can fit my entire hand between what is supposed to be the seal.

The problem began while I was out of town and have not yet been able to get to my local CHEVY dealership. I did take the truck to a GMC dealership, where I was told that 1) they have had several ENVOYs come in with the same problem and it is a problem with the hinge, 2) DON"T OPEN the gate until I get it fixed at my CHEVY dealership, and 3) the repair has required the entire replace ment of the rear glass and complete upper lift-gate assembly and hinges. Additionally - forcing to open the gate could cause the entire upper plastic to shatter. (Note: I already have a small chip in the plastic from where it contacted the hinge.)

My truck, while less than 2-years old already has 47,000 miles on it and I am out of my std 3/36 warranty. I am HOPING that GM considers this a RECALL. Anyone experiencing, or has experienced this problem, please post to this topic.

Thank You
    The chevy body shop quoted us $299.11 to get it fixed-new plastic part, paint it black, new hinges and install. Should I do it?

Gunna buy a Toyota next...never thought I'd stoop so low

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12