GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation 2002 Silverado 1500 V6 surgeing problem

hello,

about a week ago this started happening, i got to accelerate, i get through first gear just fine and then second gear comes in good (this is not a trans problem, at least i dont think so) then at about 2300 rpm the engine surges (by surge i mean the rpm fluctuate about +/- 150 rpm, if i had to ballpark it) you can feel the truck pull and then settle and then pull again for about 5 or 6 seconds, after the check engine light flashes (misfire condition, only some of the time). this dosnt happen every time and thats where i get confused, it mostly happens when im accelerating slower rather than quicker (its a v6 so there is alot of pedal mashing happening). the whole distributor (distributor, cap, rotor) is brand new, the plugs and wires are recently replaced (within 20,000 miles), air/fuel filter is new (less than 10,000). the truck has 173,000 miles on it and runs like a champ besides this.

if you have any suggestions, please let me know

thanks,
    Jake

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome to the site! Glad to have you here! I'm not sure what is going on, but I hope someone here can help you with your problem.This is a new post and there will be a bunch of members look at it. I hope you get a answer soon. Good Luck!
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

Hmmm

This is interesting, not sure where to start out with something like this. If it were me the first place I would look is in your timing, insure your engine is tuned 100%. Second place i'd look would be the fuel system. You said filter was recentley replaced, maybe its dirty again. Perhaps its after the filter, maybe the injectors or something.

I had this same problem on my truck, 2002 1500 with 100,000 and it was the fuel filter all along. Check it out maybe its installed incorrectly or manufacturer default. Who knows.

Is this the 5 speed?

Hope this helps you out.
    Last edited by morgan; 11-29-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: edit

thanks for the reply and the input.

you bring up the fuel injectors, and thats what my first thought was, so i went to autozone and bought the infamous can of Seafoam and did what it said, let me tell you that the truck starts, idles, and runs alot smoother now. but to no avail after running a quarter of my tank through the truck is still surgeing.

so the next step that i will do is check the timeing, i just so happen to have another filter so ill replace it again and see if that cures it.

im a marine mechanic and my boss just so happens to be a certified auto tech, he brought up that it could be the
    the TPS or the MAP sensor. Does anyone think that it could be this or have any experiance with this situation and either of these cureing it?
    2002 Silverado 1500
    3.4L Vortec V6
    RWD
    181,000 miles