GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Mechanic

Default air intake question

Hi,
    I'm sure this has been answered before, but I tried searching and couldn't find the answer. I want to put a CAI on my 06 silverado 5.3L, but don't want to fork up the cash.... is changing the stock air filter with like a K&N filter make difference? or do you really need to change the whole thing?

Thanks,
    James

the silverado intake flows well, so a nice filter will help. most restriction is in the tube though.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Jr. Mechanic

okay, because if i bought a CAI i would go with the Spectre since it's cheap... although I heard I don't want the metal tube because it transfers the hear, but yet I can't afford to spend the $300 for a K&N

Legend
    Blog Entries

That K&N setup is a waste of money, your 100% right about that one. Green filter company make a smooth intake tube which works with the factory air box and box filter, the ridges in the OEM intake tube are what breaks up the flow of air. Check them out for a cheaper solution, that part for a 5.3 is around $150 shipped.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Jr. Mechanic

I will have to check it out, but will that make a difference? or do i need to replace the air box to?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I would think that the stock air box would be sufficient enough, it is the same basic design as the Volant model. You could change to a cone filter inside the factory air box, that was a thought that also crossed my mind. Also the stock air box has that hole in the side, that draws air in from the inner fender from outside.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I have the K&N intake in the stock box and after I bought my Cold Air K&N I saw a HUGE difference in torque and power. I bought my my intake that usually runs for $300 for $70 from a guy who was selling the parts from his Silverado. I also didnt want to pay $300 so I spent hours and days on Craigslist checking til I finally found one. I seem them all the time for like $100. You should check
    Joser
    2001 Silverado 5.3L
    13% tint all around
    7" Fabtech lift kit w/ leveling kit
    HD front end conversion
    Blacked out Billet Grille w/ Black Bow-Tie
    33x12.5x20 on 20x10 Fuel Hostage
    Smoked out tail lights
    Dual Flow Masters/ Exhaust Cut outs
    K&N CAI
    Custom Tuner
    Corvette Servo
    180 Stat
    10K HIDs

"Spending money on things we dont need to impress people we dont know"

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Go to your local Auto Zone and check out their Spectre products... They have filters, tubes, and all the other pieces you'd need to build your own CAI...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Cool air intake question

Airaid and Green filter make a intake tube that fits between the stock airbox and t/body and they dont have all the baffles that the stock tube has. Also if you have a diegrinder, cutter for aluminum (so plastic wont clog up bit) and a 1/2 inch drill bit you can modify you stock airbox. Remove the stock airbox and drill below the filter and the side behind the headlight holes with the 1/2 drill bit. Inside the top and bottom of the airbox grind smooth all the ridges and baffles to smooth out the inside of the box. This does help with airflow. It is time consuming but with a good filter, airtube and this airbox mod you will see and feel a differance.

how much louder would the intake be from changing out the stock one to one that is not baffled?
    Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    That K&N setup is a waste of money, your 100% right about that one. Green filter company make a smooth intake tube which works with the factory air box and box filter, the ridges in the OEM intake tube are what breaks up the flow of air. Check them out for a cheaper solution, that part for a 5.3 is around $150 shipped.
    2008 Silverado LTZ Crew 4x4 5.3L

Stock 20 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ 33's
    Navigation
    DVD
    HD Trailering
    Alumiknox Black Truck Box
    Bilstein 5100's Leveling Shocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast