GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TomTom? GPS units!

anybody got one? i got one yesterday at wal-marts black friday sale and its pretty cool...(i think it makes driving a little more dangerous because its so distracting and fun to play with )

Have one for years.. they are great.. they do have their limitations though.. don't always trust them out in the sticks in back roads.. well developed areas though they are great
    -2007 Ram 2500 QC 5.9 CTD
    -2008 Taho LT1

"There aren't any problems in the world that can't be solved with the proper application of plastic explosives."

I haven't used mine much...but that's probably because I AM way out in the sticks and i know every road within at least 30 miles of here..

They are a nice little gadget to have! We're actually using ours right now on our way back from Washington to Loveland (1,325 miles). Still only on the Oregon/Utah line lol. TomTom doesn't always suggest the most efficient routes, but it will reprogram itself if you miss a turn or something.

I'd say go for it!
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

Yeah, I've got one and I've had to learn how to behave myself when driving. I've blown through a stoplight while trying to locate a restaurant. I'm not keen with the address input method. City, street, then number. Just the opposite of the way you would write that on an envelope.

Almost useless in the desert. With Streets and Trips on my laptop with a GPS antenna I can navigate to any latitude or longitude off road or not. TomTom can't find a route when there is no obvious road to the location.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

the input method is that way because the database macro is much easier toi write..

Like narrowing down options in a database.. narerow it by city, street, then finally house number..

Its wierd, but it works
    -2008 Taho LT1

"There aren't any problems in the world that can't be solved with the proper application of plastic explosives."

is there any way to reprogram it so it avoids unpaved roads? right now it tells me to take a detour off the highway onto a gravel road, and then return onto the same highway.

I picked one up on Friday too, but I can't have it until X-mas.
    Red 05 Silverado. Ram-Air Hood w/custom paint. Cold Air Intake, Black 20" Wheels w/Polished Lip. Lowered 2" in rear, Tint, Custom Front Bumper, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, Color Matched Grill w/Billet Inserts, Debadged Tailgate, Red LED Underdash Lighting, DDMTuning HID's - 8000k in lows & fogs. Smoked Foglights

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSilverStepside View Post
    is there any way to reprogram it so it avoids unpaved roads? right now it tells me to take a detour off the highway onto a gravel road, and then return onto the same highway.

In the settings there are options to change those things..

Go to preferances and then routing options or somethign like that.. i don't ever remember where those options are.. I just sit and play with it until I get it.

Those options do exist though
    -2008 Taho LT1

I've got the low-end Garmin unit, it's the same. I paid $79 for it at Wal-Mart last year for BF. I was able to download and update the maps too, but just for example we tried to go to CiCi's pizza in New Braunfels, TX and they had it on the wrong side of the freeway I-35. That's no small problem it caused us about 15 minutes of extra time to find it.

That being said, it's night and day for just about any trip that I need to make I use the GPS and I think we're going to get some for gifts as well this year for family members that keep getting lost.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast