GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default water pump gasket question

Hi all. I have a question about my leaking water pump and changing the gasket.
    I have a 05 burban z71 (5.7L ?). Today all of a sudden I started leaking coolant really bad. Took a look and it looks like it's coming from the water pump. It appears that the t-stat didn't open, and I'm guessing popped the gasket...is that possible?
    I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from, but after finding a blow up diagram of the pump online, it looks like it might be at the point where the pump meets the block (or head?). Definitely not at the t-stat gasket.
    Is this a reasonable location for the leak? Can I assume that it is the gasket and replace that? Will I be safe just replacing the gasket versus the entire water pump? Any suggestions on gasket types (materials)? Would Autozone have replacement gasket & t-stat?

Any advise is appreciated. It looks like a fairly easy job since it is right up front with lots of room to work. Also, if anyone knows of an instructable, i'd appreciate a link...i'll continue searching.

Thanks!

J

I found the leak. It was coming from the pulley seal, although the pulley didn't move left/right/up/down/in or out like I suspected. So I replaced the tstat with one from the dealership and a pump from shucks. No leaks, looks like it's working good. Then on my test drive, my dash thermometer acted weird. It dropped temp to 160. I still had cabin heat. If I turn the car off and back on, the tmermometer will go up to whatever temp it is (190 or so) and then drop back down to 160 after a few seconds. I also installed a radio accessory which had me taking the radio out. not sure if that would cause that. If anyone has any ideas about what is wrong, please let me know...I'd appreciate it. I also had to replace two 15a fuses (radio & cig lighter). Is there a dedicated fuse for the thermometer?

TIA

J

Sounds like you have air in your cooling system. Sometimes I've had to resort to putting the vehicle on a steep incline to get the air to work its way to the radiator cap. When the trapped air surrounds the temp sensor it can cause it to work erratically.

Here are two good articles for background info:

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...ng_system.html

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/info_service_cs.asp

Great video on vacuum filling a cooling system: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_4x65-BqDg&feature=related"]YouTube- Chevy Proper Way To Fill A Cooling System - Tech Support Video 17[/ame]

This video is for the 4.3L, but it is similar enough to get you familiar with the job: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDBlW3L0cc&feature=related"]YouTube- Lifted 1995 S10 4x4 4.3L Water Pump Replacement How-to DIY[/ame]
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

thanks for the tips...my driveway is pretty steep, i'll try that this evening...

Legend

It could be alot of things after a chain reaction but the first thing you need to do is figure out what equipment your truck has. 5.7 production was stopped in 2000 for the trucks. Also being a 05 you will either have a flex fuel motor or a non flex fuel. I wouldnt make any assumptions it could be the intake manifold gasket as well.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

oh yeah, it's a 5.3, non flex fuel...

yup, air was it...wife was driving home up a hill, and the gauge popped right up...thanks for the advice!!