GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Replacing CV Half Shafts

2002 Silverado 5.3 liter

One cv half shaft is really clunking and groaning - can somebody tell me if I can replace it myself or is it too much for back yard? Do you need to separate ball joints?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Hump55 View Post
    2002 Silverado 5.3 liter

One cv half shaft is really clunking and groaning - can somebody tell me if I can replace it myself or is it too much for back yard? Do you need to separate ball joints?

Thanks in advance
    Yes you need to separate the lower ball joint. It can be done in your back yard. Loosen the nut all the way off and screw it on 3 turns. With the suspension hanging free pry on the lower arm with a long pipe or bar and hit the arm with a big hammer. It should spring loose. Then jack up the arm to relieve the pressure and remove the nut. Lower the arm to release it from the ball joint. Then remove the axle.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Cool Replacing CV half shafts

X2 what Jimmee said but, if your truck is lifted and has aftermarket steering knuckles you wont have to take the ball joint loose. Just jack up that side of truck and unbolt. Takes about 10minutes. Also most parts stores have rebuilt halfshafts on a exchange basic. I found NAPA to have good rebuilt shafts.

there is no need to take the lower ball joint out at all it falls right out the ball joint just made an hour project a full 2 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! atleast on a 2500

Quote Originally Posted by suburban2500 View Post
    there is no need to take the lower ball joint out at all it falls right out the ball joint just made an hour project a full 2 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! atleast on a 2500
    2 Days? I can R&R a half shaft including dropping the ball joint loose in 30 minutes or less once the truck is up on jack stands. The ball joint is only 1, count em', ONE nut. LMAO
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Not sure if a 2000 Z71 is the same but I replaced my driver side half shaft by only removing the sway bar link. The connection to the front diff is just a flange so you don't need tons of clearance to pull a spilned shaft end out like on other vehicles.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TJbear View Post
    Not sure if a 2000 Z71 is the same but I replaced my driver side half shaft by only removing the sway bar link. The connection to the front diff is just a flange so you don't need tons of clearance to pull a spilned shaft end out like on other vehicles.
    I did the same thing to get to mine. Took no time at all, now I am just waiting on a new spacer so I can put the shaft back on.