GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Lose AC at idle

Default Lose AC at idle

I have a 2003 3/4 ton Burban with the 6.0 ltr engine. We just moved to the desert where it can reach 115 degrees in the summer. The AC on our truck works well as long as the truck is moving. If it is parked for a while at idle, we lose temp until we get moving again. It also sounds like the recirc damper kicks in while it is acting up. Had the freon checked and the mechanic said it was OK.

Thoughts?

The pass side rear door glass motor is also slow to roll up. Figured I just need to replace the motor. Correct me if I am wrong here. Where is the best place to get a replacement door glass motor?

Thanks in Advance.

Kam
    Just A Man

If your recirculation setting kicks in automatically, that means your system pressure is too high. Most likely, you have a blocked orifice tube(front), expansion valve(rear), or condenser. Take it in for a clean and flush. If it's the condenser, you'll just have to replace it, since they're next to impossible to flush. Otherwise, just change the tube, valve and accumulator, and that should fix it.

As for the window, just take the door panel off and try greasing the heck out of the regulator. That works for me about 60% of the time. Might save you some cash.

ive had the same problem with my ac and holy crap is it annoying....its like the worst thing sitting at a stop light after leaving work in the middle of august like ahhhh cold ac and the mother f'r starts blowing hot air at you....thanks for the info ill have to check mine out too...04 silvy 5.3 btw..

Check the RPMs at idle. If they drop just a fraction to low the A/C system wont cool. This could be as simple as cleaning the intake and sensors.
    I recently fixed a friends 03 Suburban with an intake cleaning after 2 local shops gave him an estimate of over $300 for repairs. THe next week he went to Memphis Tn. and fixed his cousins Avalanche with the same issue and almost exact same estimates.

simple fix, look between radiator and condenser the front of condenser is full of dirt ahd leaves you know road crap. loosen top of radiater bracket pull top of radiater towards you get a very soft brush and clean the front of condenser rinse with water. its a little tight between but can be done