GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default About leveling kits...same as cranking the keys?? whats the difference??

Hey, have a 2006 silverado 1500 series crew cab. Wanted to do the whole leveling thing and then found a nice 3" leveling (lift kit) with springs and keys and shock extensions.

My question is that I don't want to damage or stress the front suspension by "cranking" the torsion bars. Do the keys eliminate that or does it just allow you to crank it more.

Any help is appreicated. Please also tell me if anyone has a good kit for the 6 lug silverado for leveling or 2" or 3" lift.

Thanks

Don
    2006 Chevy Silverado crew cab 1500

Most of the kits I've seen don't have shock extenders for the 1500, they are usually for the 2500's. And as far as the physics goes, the aftermarket torsion keys just allow you to twist up the torsion bar more than the stock keys allow. 3" is probably as far as you can go without serious ill effects, and if you plan on doing a lot of off- roading I would go with a full suspension lift. If you are staying on the street you'll be fine with a leveling kit. I put the Pro Comp keys on my truck and so far I'm really happy with the results, gained quite a bit of lift and the ride is better than stock in my opinion.
    Adam

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

I've leveled out both my '95 Tahoe and my '03 Av by just adjusting the torsion bars... I haven't had any ill effects due to this... But I've also been told that I'm lucky... Some GM's have alot of adjustment on the torsion bars, and some don't have any...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...