GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave2007 View Post
    Thanks to the many who have responded to this thread. I have since had an Amsoil filter and synthetic put in my Tahoe and after 1K cannot (yet) see any appreciable difference, i.e., mileage or power increase. Doesn't mean it isn't working nor that it isn't a very good product however I have learned that it it VERY expensive and that Amsoil is part of a MLM plan, and both factors turn me OFF! I plan to stick with a synthetic but will be switching to Mobil 1 in 5-6K for those two reasons. Mobil 1 is obviously less expensive because I am not paying a commission to anyone, aside from Exxon. I should have done my homework. Not knowing before my purchase that Amsoil was part of a MLM deal is just plain stupid on my part! Yikes!
    If you paid retail for AMSOIL it is expensive. There are better ways to purchase AMSOIL other than over the counter. You don't have to change your oil/filter again for up to 25k miles. When you add up the savings compared to regular oil changes with conventional or other synthetic oils though you are saving money.

Why does MLM turn you off? These are just honest people, offering an excellent product. Everyone has to earn a living right? Belive me I am not asking to start a whole hate thread on AMSOIL or MLM, I am just curious.
    --------------------
    Willie
    2006 2500, LLY, CCSB, LT3, Edge Evo Level 3
    AMSOIL in the powertrain and fuel system

Quote Originally Posted by MAsZ71 View Post
    Several years ago I had a discussion online (a Corvette forum) with an Amsoil rep. The question that I asked him was to tell me the name of the independent lab that did the testing for Amsoil. I don't remember the exact specifics of the "conversation", but basically I never got confirmation that Amsoil used a true independent lab for their analysis. This gentleman continued to argue that it didn't matter what lab did the work as long as the tests were done using recognized industry test methods. The one thing that I have learned over my 20+ years in manufacturing, is that test data, like accounting information, can be manipulated to provide specific desired results. However, a truely independent lab is less likely to fudge the numbers. I REMAINED SKEPTICAL!

Now I see that Amsoil has published more recent ('08?) results, but I can't find any information related to who this independent lab is. I searched several of the independent amsoil sites. All of them publish the test results, but none publish the name of the independent lab.

Like I said earlier, I think Amsoil makes a very good product. And if their test results weren't in the same ballpark as all the other excellent synthetics, then they would be pretty stupid to make the claims they make. It would be easy enough to check.

So, Amsoil reps, show me proof of the actual independent lab that did the testing, and I will shut-up and bow towards the superior Amsoil product line! I will even buy my next oil change products from my local Amsoil distributor and post proof of that purchase on-line!!
    Not dodging your question of what lab, I called AMSOIL this morning and taled to them about their study. AMSOILs motor oil comparison study used ASTM standard tests. Regardless of the lab, using the same standard, they would produce the same results.

Try this. Pull a data sheet from the oil manufacture you use and compare it the same oil from AMSOIL. If they use ASTM standard testing, the results will be similar.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by mrmanners View Post
    Not dodging your question of what lab...
    Yes you are! If you are an Amsoil rep, then how difficult is it to tell me what the name of the lab is?

All ASTM means is that it is an industry accepted test method. It doesn't automatically mean that the person running the test did the procedure correctly OR wrote down the right numbers OR rounded up for their product OR rounded down for their competitor's product.....

Listen carefully.....Amsoil has an incredible marketing program where they compare their products to other manufacturer's products based on test results from an "INDEPEDENT LAB". Now to me, that is a legitamate, non-biased, method for comparing product attributes. This is why I have asked for proof of this independent lab.

Don't you think it is a little (OK a lot) strange that Amsoil keeps avoiding this question??

Oh yea...I don't hate Amsoil. Like I've said earlier, I think Amsoil makes a good product. But NOTHING Amsoil says convinces me that it is any better than any other name brand full synthetic oil on the market. And to me there are cheaper, easier to find, equally functional alternatives for me to pick from.
    Last edited by MAsZ71; 12-21-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: gotta learn to spell!

Quote Originally Posted by MAsZ71 View Post
    Yes you are! If you are an Amsoil rep, then how difficult is it to tell me what the name of the lab is?

All ASTM means is that it is an industry accepted test method. It doesn't automatically mean that the person running the test did the procedure correctly OR wrote down the right numbers OR rounded up for their product OR rounded down for their competitor's product.....

Listen carefully.....Amsoil has an incredible marketing program where they compare their products to other manufacturer's products based on test results from an "INDEPEDENT LAB". Now to me, that is a legitamate, non-biased, method for comparing product attributes. This is why I have asked for proof of this independent lab.

Don't you think it is a little (OK a lot) strange that Amsoil keeps avoiding this question??

Oh yea...I don't hate Amsoil. Like I've said earlier, I think Amsoil makes a good product. But NOTHING Amsoil says convinces me that it is any better than any other name brand full synthetic oil on the market. And to me there are cheaper, easier to find, equally functional alternatives for me to pick from.
    Believe me when I say I don't know and they didn't tell me either. Not sure ANY dealer does. I am sorry, I wish there were more I could do to answer your concern/questions. I really don't like not being able to answer questions fully.

You are absolutely right about the person behind the test but, and I don't know, surely they have to be trained and certified in some fashion. Unfortunately I don't know the the standards or procedures behind them. Something I need to read up on.

As for finding comparable products to AMSOIL, Mobile 1 makes a good oil though I have no experience with it. When I went from my 1500 to my 2500, I was already into AMSOIL and switched it almost immediately.

Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmanners View Post
    As for finding comparable products to AMSOIL, Mobile 1 makes a good oil though I have no experience with it. When I went from my 1500 to my 2500, I was already into AMSOIL and switched it almost immediately.

Happy Holidays!
    Happy Holidays to you as well!!!

Sr. Apprentice

In my GTO I ONLY used factory recommended Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I've heard good things about Amsoil, but for price point, I only stuck with those two manufactures.

Amway, Herbalife, Amsoil, all good product lines and all MLM's; I simply do not like paying for access to something on a conveyor belt. Meaning... hidden costs to "get in on the deal" and "joining the club" is as important as the product. Does not make sense to me as a consumer. All I want is product, not a second job. Sorry if this is upsetting to some folks.

Willie, see my reply a little deeper in this thread.

Default Been gone for a spell.....

Wow I do not even know where to start on this conversation. If you have any questions you want answered you all should be asking me seeing I am the AMSOIL vendor for this site. I am sorry I have not been on for a bit due to life being so busy. I am going to try and get on more so if you want to know something ask away...

Oh by the way idf you buy AMSOIL through me you will be paying about the same price you pay for mobile 1 or other blended, "full synthetic" oils. I do not know why you would pay for mostly mineral oil when you could get 100% synthetic oil for the same price..

Happy new year,
    Scott

PS.

There is a reason why the only test results you see on AMSOIL come from AMSOIL. There is no way any other oil on the market will do the tests if they already know they will come out on the bottom. That would be like a Chinese truck comparing itself to a Gm truck.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Synthetics View Post
    There is a reason why the only test results you see on AMSOIL come from AMSOIL. There is no way any other oil on the market will do the tests if they already know they will come out on the bottom. That would be like a Chinese truck comparing itself to a Gm truck.
    ...an independent test can be done with all oils as long as it keeps a neutral non-bias position....which an independent test is suppose be anyway.

personally, all oil does the same thing...it lubricates moving parts to prevent wear. Differences ranging from cleaning detergents, wear prevention, particle suspension and adsorption, heat/cooling durability, shear and film strength, and some other stuff. I stick with the oils that are OEM synthetic and/or have been proven down at the tracks and out on the streets. Mobil 1 is OEM for GM's high performance motors, I've seen motors torn down after Royal P was used and they are as clean and smooth as can be, I've seen a Chrysler 300 that used Pennzoil and it was like tar when the valve cover was removed, I've seen oil changes that used Lucas oil stablizer and it oil came out like taffy...falling into the oil catch pan as such. I've yet to use Amsoil or talked (in person) to anyone that has, and don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the oil at all...just haven't used it myself. To get a patent to state you are the "First Fully Synthetic" is quite feat in itself, and I don't doubt its a great product. But like every single thing out there in life, every brand will have its own pros and cons with its product...and that's kinda the foundation for this thread/debate. We'd like to see a non-bias study comparing Amsoil to all the other big name oils out there, instead of just word of mouth from a dealer.