GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Here are a few links to check out. Yes they are published by AMSOIL but who else would publish it? None of the competitors ever would.

Comparative Motor Oil Study

409,000-Mile Oil Drain Brochure

A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes

A Study of Motorcycle Oils

Motor Oil and Engine Filter Information

930,599 Mile Engine

The AMSOIL Center
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Synthetics View Post
    Here are a few links to check out. Yes they are published by AMSOIL but who else would publish it? None of the competitors ever would.

Comparative Motor Oil Study

409,000-Mile Oil Drain Brochure

A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes

A Study of Motorcycle Oils

Motor Oil and Engine Filter Information

930,599 Mile Engine

The AMSOIL Center
    Good stuff, glanced at a few, I'll have to read through them later tonight if I get a chance. Thanks

Wow I do not even know where to start on this conversation. If you have any questions you want answered you all should be asking me seeing I am the AMSOIL vendor for this site.
    I have some questions for you. With AMSOIL allowing a longer time between oil changes how is that read with the oil life meters? And what about the GM powertrain warranty should a problem occur and using the AMSOIL recommended oil change rates?

Also I looked at your site for the air filters and they seem to be another good item to consider.

Let me add that I currently use Mobil 1 0W30 AFE formula and the Mobil 1 filters in my vehicles. I considered AMSOIL but the cost was higher so I might get in touch with you to see the prices you can provide.

Amsoil all the way, thats all I run in all my personal vehicles including my silverado, motor, tranny, and rear plus in my 8 sec 1/4 mi race car, the stuff works. I've never seen an oil that didn't lose more then 5 psi of pressure running alcohol and thinning it out and running it for over 100 passes. It's impressive to say the least and I'm not a dealer either
    2004 silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 8.1l w/ allison 5spd

HPTuners flash tuned
    Trueflow Cold air intake w/ K&N panel filter
    Gibson 4" Catback side swept exhaust
    MB motoring 16" mirror polished wheels
    Hankook dynapro ATm 285/75/16
    Mrtaillight.com High/Low beam Fog conversion kit
    Hunter truck accessories bull bar
    Upgraded mirrors to power extended flex mirrors

www.myspace.com/caraddictions81

OLI's do not recognize what oil or quality you use. So with that said you just go with the AMSOIL recommended drain interval. as far as warranty here is AMSOIL's:

Limited Warranty

Warranties and AMSOIL Flyer

Product Change Interval Guide

And yes the air filters are great and warrantied for 4 years or 100,000 miles.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

OLI's do not recognize what oil or quality you use. So with that said you just go with the AMSOIL recommended drain interval. as far as warranty here is AMSOIL's:

Limited Warranty

Warranties and AMSOIL Flyer

Product Change Interval Guide

And yes the air filters are great and warrantied for 4 years or 100,000 miles.
    This looks good to me. I have never had an engine problem with any car or truck I have owned so that also makes me feel better about it. The Chevy dealer did their dip strip test and when they showed it to me always said my oil was very clean. I let the dealer do the oil changes until about 30K then started changing my own oil.

As far as the OLI's what do they look at? I believe it is related to engine hours and maybe temps or revolutions. On my 07 I didn't have the DIC buttons but they Oil Life light was supposed to come on at some point to tell me it was time for an oil change but I never saw it. I think the longest I ever went was just over 6,000 miles between an oil change.

I am pretty sure all oil companies provide limited warranties. BASICALLY, these warranties agree to pay for damages to equipment if it can be proven that their oils were defective (1st), and that that defect contributed directly to the resulting damage. There is also verbage that protects the oil companies against damages resulting from operation of the vehicle outside normal parameters. (this is my interpretation of the warranties, please let me know if I have stated something incorrectly!)

Bottom line....GOOD LUCK proving the oil was defective AND the direct cause of the damage!!

My personal (non-expert) opinion is based on a few years (7+) of experience with synthetic oil development in EXTREME condition applications. This experience has provided me access to discussions with true independent labs, as well as oil manufacturer's technical staffs.

As a result, under typical operating conditions, any name brand full synthetic oil will protect your vehicle from wear damage if the oil and filter are changed on a "fairly" regular basis. If you neglect this oil change for 25k miles, and you haven't operated outside normal operating conditions, your engine will be fine with any of these oils! I choose to change every 5K to 7.5K miles because I see it as "cheap insurance"!

1st Synthetics: I am not knocking Amsoil. If I could get Amsoil as cheap AND easy as I can get Mobile1, I would have no problem purchasing it! However, nothing I read in Amsoil's (internally generated) literature convinces me that it is worth the extra effort to purchase it!

BTW, I read a lot of the literature and see that the "independent lab" references have been removed! Smart move!!
    Last edited by MAsZ71; 01-08-2010 at 05:45 AM. Reason: can't spell

Jr. Apprentice

Default Amsoil products

I have been using Amsoil products for 20 years in all my motor vehicles, lawn mowers. I ues their products in my current fleet of vehicles. I have been a dealer for about 17 years. I bought the dealership so I could get reduced prices on the products. I don't try and push Amsoil on anyone unless they are interested. My only plug for Amsoil is why change the motor oil every 3 thousand miles when it can be done once a year or 25000 mile with oil filter. Oil analysis which I have done in past vehicles show it can go at least 15000 miles. For me the 12 months usually comes up first and I end up doing a oil and filter change, grease front parts also.

Quote Originally Posted by tnhusker View Post
    This looks good to me. I have never had an engine problem with any car or truck I have owned so that also makes me feel better about it. The Chevy dealer did their dip strip test and when they showed it to me always said my oil was very clean. I let the dealer do the oil changes until about 30K then started changing my own oil.

As far as the OLI's what do they look at? I believe it is related to engine hours and maybe temps or revolutions. On my 07 I didn't have the DIC buttons but they Oil Life light was supposed to come on at some point to tell me it was time for an oil change but I never saw it. I think the longest I ever went was just over 6,000 miles between an oil change.

Here is a pdf from Gm on the OLM: OLM PDF

Mine OLM just went of last week at around 11K miles on my diesel, I just reset it.

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast