GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default lost reverse in the Silverado, can someone provide some help?

The truck was idle in the driveway for a couple of days. After our first snow storm on Sunday I noticed a yellow stain under the truck, on the pass side, about half way between the rear wheel and the pass door, and about a 1ft or so in towards the center of the truck. At first I thought some gear fluid leak but I don't see where anything could drip from. So I figured it was some wildlife (rural living). After clearing the driveway my wife got in the truck and drove forward in 4x4hi about 200 ft and kept the truck running while I cleared away some snow with the quad. I motioned her to back up to where the truck was originally. She put the truck in reverse and drove backwards about 100 ft, then drove forwards to straighten the truck up. When she put it back in reverse to finally head back the last 100ft all the truck did was rev as if it was in neutral. I thought she was stuck on some ice so I got off the quad and went over. I jumped in the truck and put it reverse, no go. I put it in park then dropped it down to last gear and a loud clunking noise could be heard from the rear end, put it back up in reverse, nothing. I shut the truck off, turned it back on, tried again, no reverse. Put it 2x4, no reverse. Put it back into 4x4hi, no reverse, 4x4lo, no reverse.

That was Sunday. I haven't had a chance to try again today, been busy. But I will try again tomorrow. I just thought I'd throw this up online in the event someone has been down this road and can provide some advise. I'll update tomorrow when I try it again. Any help is appreciated. The last thing I want to hear is that the rear end is gone, my pocket book simply cannot afford that right now unless I tackle it myself. But be forewarned, I'm only so-so when it comes to mechanically stuff. Sure would appreciate some feedback.

Tuesday - I went out and started the truck and its fine. Not sure what happened. Just glad that it now works.
    Last edited by woodchuckcanuck; 12-08-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: update
    2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ LML MW7 GT4 Steel Green Metallic, Ext Cab, Standard box
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?46818-2011-Silverado-LTZ-1500-on-order!-Anybody-else

A yellow stain? Our Allisons at work use pink/red fluid. But that doesnt mean your not using something for cold weather.
    Did you check the fluid level after the problem, low fluid levels show up in reverse first usually.