GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question removing catalytic converter

on my 02 silverado with the 4.3L the drivers side converter is vibrating so bad that its drowning out the sound from the radio and you can feel it throughout the truck, the truck has 173,000 miles on it and i really don't feel like spending the $$ on replacing the whole thing, and the truck has tripped the code for the converter (i don't know the code off the top of my head). my question is can i just cut the one converter off and put a piece of pipe there without removing the other? will the truck run funny if i just remove the one side without doing the other side?

anyone run into this problem or have and input on this? advise on this is hugely helpful, thanks
    2002 Silverado 1500
    3.4L Vortec V6
    RWD
    181,000 miles

Cool removing catalytic converter

You can buy replacement converters for your truck for under $100.00 each. With over 173,000 miles on the truck I would replace both. You truck will run better.

Legend

you can get universal magnaflow cats for 83 a piece on ebay, sometimes even less. Its cheaper then the fine you would get if you would get caught without them on the truck
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

There is little reason to not run a catalytic converter on your vehicle. Like everyone else has said, high-flow cats can be had for very cheap, and the motor may very wellrun WORSE without them because the computer is looking for feedback from the sensors to indicate that the cats are doing their job.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

ok thanks to the both of you, ive found those flowmasters that you were talking about for cheap and ill have my exhaust guy install em