GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Wink New to site and need help with sunroof

Hello all. I am new to this site and hubby and I just bought a 2001 Chevy Suburban and I am having a problem with the sunroof. It does not want to OPEN. I have read alot about them not wanting to close but mine is the opposite. What do I need to do to get this working again? All help is appreciated and am glad to be on this site!

Please provide a little more info, and we'll do our best to help. When you push the button, does it TRY to open, or does it act like you didn't do anything at all? Does it move a bit or do you get absolutely no response? Can you assist it by pushing with your hand on the glass as you press the button, or does it not want to budge at all?

It might be as simple as a fuse, but more info will help us diagnose and suggest...
    I like you.

Ok, it acts like when I push any of the buttons, it does nothing. The button does however flash so I know there is power to it. I am wondering if maybe it needs to be reprogrammed but it has the switch and then 3 buttons underneath it.I am not sure how to reprogram it.It is shut tightly.

I don't know much about the newest versions of the suburban, but I doubt it needs any programming. Even if the button lights up, there may be a separate fuse and circuit for the actual motor. Have you checked EVERY fuse? I'm just starting with the basics here. To trouble shoot, you have to eliminate ALL the most obvious things first. Next, have you check the actual connections yet?
    I like you.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Is it factory or Aftermarket? There should be a cover by the motor and if there is you can open it with a tool. Check the owners book..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I just want to add that if it is a factory sunroof, it only has one switch in the overhead console, and no flashing light that goes with it. The set of 3 buttons near it is Homelink (built-in garage door/gate opener) and the flashing light belongs to those buttons.

Have you tried pushing the front side of the sunroof button to vent it? sometimes the sunroof needs to be opened to the vent position before it will slide if it has lost power such as the battery being disconnected.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck