GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Remote starters

Default Remote starters

Does anybody have any experience with remote start kits? I'm tired of driving with my head out the window while bein late for work lol. I've seen some at best buy for about $300, and I've also seen some for $100 elsewhere. Is the extra $200 worth it? The farthest I will be using the remote is about 50 feet. I've got a '01 silverado 5.3L automatic with keyless entry. Also, does it just replace the keyless entry module or what? Thanks for the help.
    Mike - OREGON

2001 chevy silverado 4x4. 5.3L, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo MT's, 17" Weld Racing wheels, arma coating on rocker panels. No exhaust after cat. Pioneer stereo

I don't have any experience installing one myself but the last one I had installed for an 05 Dodge was 300 bucks for parts and labor.

Legend

COMPUSTAR!!!!!!!!!!! Is far and away the best, you may spend a little more money but the range is worth it, mine is listed for 1.5 miles but have started my truck at three miles before. Compustar started it all, and they can do it for manual tranny as well. These are mostly sold at custom shops, depending on the model you get you can add on lots of extra features. I have had mine for almost three years and never a problem and still have full function of factory fob as well.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Apprentice

im curious as to how a remote start hellps you while you are driving down the road? and keep you from being late for work?

I think the extra money is worth it. I was recently quoted 220.00 bucks for one for my 99 Tahoe and thought it was very resonable. They have to install a bypass module for the security system as well. Then Labour on top of it so if you can get a deal for 200 or even 3 it's good.
    :sign0011:
    Troy
    New Brunswick, Canada

I've heard a lot of good things about Compustar. A friend has one of the newer model Compustar remote start/alarm systems on his 4Runner, he can start the truck, adjust the temperature, adjust the radio volume and station, roll up/down windows, and unlock doors with his his remote. Not sure of the operating distance. The kit cost $325 and took about 2.5 hours to install with 2 people.

Ok, thanks for the help. Common dude, A remote start would help with the fact that since i wake up late sometimes I can hit the button and my windshield would be defrosted. I only live about a mile from work on a back road so it's not that bad. It'd just be nice to have that accesorie.

I definitely agree that a remote start just makes everything easier. The only thing that sucks is that they aren't really very useful in the summer. So its a 300+ dollar accessory that I would only use for 4 months or so. But........for the right price, I'd probably go for one anyway.
    2005 Chevy Silverado z71.
    - Readylift Leveling kit
    - Cooper Discoverer STT 285/70/17s
    - Line-X over the rail bedliner

fyi those 100 dollar ones are generally for installations without the need of bypass modules, depends on the vehicle. I would be willing that those will quickly double in price. Now while price isnt always an indication of quality i believe that in this instance it is.
    Current vehicle: 2008 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4wd
    Former vehicles: 1995 Chevy beretta
    1991 pontiac 6000 LE
    1992 Oldsmobile 98 Regency
    1991 Buick Skylark
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity

Girlfriend just bought me one for my silverado. The local car audio store installed it. It was around 200 bucks and came with a lifetime warranty. The start is made my crimestoppers.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by