GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How to fix drooping interior headlining?

It's driving me nuts. The headlining fabric droops just low enough to hit the top of my head. I remember tearing the fabric out of another car years ago and quickly lived to regret it as there was some kind of charcoal colored foam stuff glued to the sheetmetal and little pieces of it would keep raining down on me.

Before I get carried away, is the headlining fabric on these middle-aged trucks backed with foam also?

Anyone successfully replace the headlining?

Any non-fabric alternatives?

Thanks
    89 GMC Sierra 3500 X-Cab, RWD
    Less than 5,000 miles on Remanufactured 454 Jasper Engine,
    Edelbrock Aluminum Intake,
    New AC, Alt, Fuel Lines, Fuel Tank, ...

3M makes a general adhesive spray for this. You have to pull the interior trim and visors to get the headliner out. The fabric has a cardboard base - just clean everything off, apply adhesive to both sides (read the can) and then pull / spread the fabric back over. You could also use any fabric; Buzz Lightyear bed sheets, if ya want, to customize the interior.

Also, back to LMC for you. They have stock stuff and fancy radio mount customs, too.

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

I replaced the head liner on an old 1988 Silverado 2500 Ext. cab I used to own. I am not going to lie--it was a bigger job than I thought. The end result was great though. I was able to get the head liner material at a chain fabric store. I also used the 3M spray adhesive. I did a Google search for this and found a step by step tutorial and followed. I do remember the site I found said to use a toilet brush to clean off the residual foam rubber stuck to the head liner board. That worked great!

The biggest PITA was getting the head liner out---all those cheap, plastic interior trim pieces coupled with age made for a stressful time. Plus my old truck did not have a third door so I had to bend the board big time to get it out. Removal and installation were by far the hardest part. The work involved with the new fabric was fairly easy. If I made my money doing this I know I would have it down to an art.

After I went through this, I started seeing ads for people that would come to you and replace the headliner for $100.00. Had I known what I was in store for, I would have paid someone a hundred bucks in a heart beat! If I had a regular cab or an extended cab with a third door (like my current truck) I believe it would have been much easier.

I know what you mean about the black stuff if you pull the old fabric off. My brother-in-law did that with this truck--he got aggravated with the fabric hitting his head and yanked it down. After that, every time you rode in the truck you would be pulling crap out of your head for the rest of the day. I got to work one morning and kept noticing black stuff falling out of my head. I am thinking, "dang, I took a shower this morning and washed my hair, what in the heck is this--looks like dirt". Then it hit me--it is the foam rubber from the head liner board!!! D'uoh!!! That is when I got motivated enough to do something

Good luck!!
    1997 GMC Sierra
    2005 Cadillac DHS
    2004 Toyota Camry
    1996 Toyota Avalon

Sr. Apprentice

The best way is to remove the liner, scrape clean and take it to an upholstery shop. I had my bmw done for $35 labor and material. Just take your time to remove and replace the liner.I tried the spray glue first to no avail.
    Good Luck
    2001 2500HD 4x4 8.1L/ally,CCSB,diablo with diablew tuned and too much to list....

Take it to a shop. Its just way easier and not too expensive. Did mine for 75 bucks. If it bothers you that much, its worth it.