GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Locking Hubs?

Default Locking Hubs?

Have 06 1500 (5.3, 4l65e) with 4x4 and a manual transfer case. I want to put on manual hubs, so Im not spinning all the time and burning gas, plus I am from the school simpler is better and I want reliable, not some electronic servo trying to do a bunch of stuff. I was wondering if anyone made a kit for these trucks. I checked Warn's website and didnt see anything...

Since the late '80's, when GM went IFS, they've used a center axle disconnect (CAD) in the front diff to disconnect the front driveshaft. From what I've been able to gather, I don't think you are going to find lockouts for the wheels. There just doesn't seem to be a concensus about the cost to spinning the CV shafts. It appears that the bulk of the "cost" is in spinning the heavier driveshaft.

To get rid of the electric CAD, you might look at posi-lock (I think that's what it's called). It's a cable driven set up for the CAD. I see it mostly mentioned for the early '90's trucks, because the thermoelectric system GM used has a bit of trouble. I really haven't seen a lot of CAD failures for the electric CAD's like yours would have. It's probably debatable whether a cable is more reliable than the electric.

(But at the same time, I don't really want to trust the electric throttles they are coming out with. Cable driven throttles do go bad, but they've worked pretty well for a long time. Cable might give some peace of mind to those who mistrust electric.)
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Cool Locking hubs?

X2 what MrShorty said.