GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Default So I Changed My Intermediate Steering Shaft. But....

I changed my intermediate steering shaft with the GM replacement part. The reason was that there would be a slight knocking noise but mostly a feeling in the steering wheel. As I would turn or hit a bump I would feel it. I knew that was the problem through some research (Mechanics at the Lithia store were no help here Sadly)
    So after it was changed there was no thud, or knocking in it, until of late. I changed it in mid May. And here I am with the same old thing.

So the question is, before I decide to go and buy the same GM replacement, what can I do to ensure that this wont happen any more?

From what I understand the feelings and sounds don't have a deleterious effect on the steering at all. It just bugs me, and I would rather go without it.

2006 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 5.3l Z71 4X4

Legend
    Blog Entries

Take this for what it's worth, but there is no real cure for this problem. My truck has been doing that since it was new from the factory, we have had it back to the dealer three times in 10,000 miles for them to take it apart and grease it which is the GM procedure that they do for this. They actually sell a kit that you can do it yourself, or they use the replacement shaft from GM. Summit Racing makes a Borgeson replacement shaft for this truck as well, but several people I work with have bought this part and installed it and they still have the knocking in the front of the truck. I know it sucks to hear that all the time, but it's an unfortunate thing at any rate. I have gotten to where I take ours out each summer and grease it with that GM kit for $40, and it lasts for a yearand then I end up doing it again.

You'll hear all kind of stories about these things, so this is my account of what happens on my truck every summer LOL!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Had the same problem with my '02 Tahoe. Replaced the steering shaft to get rid of the problem but the mechanic replaced it with a GM one. Guess what? Still have the same problem. Ask him about it and he told me that he should of replaced it with an aftermarket one from NAPA. The GM is round? were as the NAPA one is square. How that makes a difference I don't know. Never looked at the old one to compare it to the newer GM one.

Do you have a GM part number for that grease kit? thanks

Cool So i Changed my intermediate steering shaft

I had the same problems (twice) with the GM fix. Replaced with a Borgenson unit. End of problem. I got mine from Jegs.com.

Jr. Mechanic

Thanks everyone for your help and posts. I actually went to NAPA during lunch today and they had a replacement, I am also going to look at Jegs after I post this. I'm not sure if I want to mess with it anymore, since I could live with it. But, then again the noises and feelings will make my truck feel rickety.

Thanks Again and Merry Christmas. I have some finals to study for, wish me luck!

Cool So i Changed my intermediate steering shaft

The Borgenson shaft from Jegs for your truck is part # 153-000937 and is $225.00.