GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Home surveillance systems?

Who here has them? I'm tired of people trying to steal my neighbors cars around my house and the cops not doing anything about it or in some cases like tonight not even showing up. my brother was on the phone with the cops while we were chasing them and the cops still didn't show up. Sometimes the people get dropped off or they just walk up. So I'm looking at buying a Surveillance system so I can get a License Plate number.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

I installed motion sensing lights and cameras at different points around my house to cover the yard and driveway, they chime on my computer and come on when they catch any motion.
    I had a big problem with false alarms in the begining because we have a lot of 4 legged critters traveling through the yard at night.
    If you use motion sensing remember to aim the sensor high enough so animals wont set them off.
    Also buy cameras that are capable of decent pictures so you get good stills that can identify any face shots.
    I didnt bother with an alarm company because I live across the street from an elementary school that has city police and private security driving through about every 1/2 hour.
    And when I'm home and the Security or Police roll by I make a habit of going out and offering them coffee or water to drink. Most of them will stop by if I'm in the garage to look at my bikes or any new projects I'm working on.

How much did these systems cost you guys?
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

My parts were cobbled together from Harbor Freight and a few other places.
    It ran about $200 for hardware and another $35 for a decent computer program, but I think you could find the surveilance program on the web for free if you look hard enough..

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I installed motion sensing lights and cameras at different points around my house to cover the yard and driveway, they chime on my computer and come on when they catch any motion.
    I had a big problem with false alarms in the begining because we have a lot of 4 legged critters traveling through the yard at night.
    If you use motion sensing remember to aim the sensor high enough so animals wont set them off.
    Also buy cameras that are capable of decent pictures so you get good stills that can identify any face shots.
    I didnt bother with an alarm company because I live across the street from an elementary school that has city police and private security driving through about every 1/2 hour.
    And when I'm home and the Security or Police roll by I make a habit of going out and offering them coffee or water to drink. Most of them will stop by if I'm in the garage to look at my bikes or any new projects I'm working on.
    That's a good idea, I live near a huge park that gets a lot of police presence, so I usually wave at the police when they drive by. I need it, seems like half the city's tried to break into my TB at one point or another.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

What type of storage does it take up? This isn't as much of an issue anymore as 1 TB only costs like $150 or less these days.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    thats pretty awesome you kind of have your own security guards! I'd like to get some kind of security system one of these days

S.BELFORD

2009 Silverado LT1: All Star Edition
    5.3 Liter V8 4x4

Factory:
    Locking Rear Differential
    3.73 Rear Axle
    Fog Lamps
    Factory Remote Start
    Locking Tailgate
    20" Wheels

Aftermarket:
    Rear Wheel House Liners
    Molded Mud Flaps
    Stainless Nurf Bars
    Driver Information Center
    20% Tinted Windows
    Low Profile Diamond Plate Tool Box
    GM Bed Liner
    Silver Birch Metallic Mirror Covers
    Silver Birch Metallic Vent Visors
    Flowmaster Super 40 (knock off)
    20" Wheels
    Bed Rail Protectors
    Extang Tonneau Cover

All you need is a Zombie shepherd........
    "You underestimate my willingness to resort to violence to resolve this conflict" :fighting0037:

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT
    (8" Fabtech Suspension Lift, 3" Performance Accessories Body Lift, 37x13.50 Toyo MT's, 20" KMC Rockstar, K&N FIPK, Edelbrock Headers, Edelbrock Extreme Travel Shocks with Reservoir, MagnaFlow Dual Exhaust, Black Bear Performance Tune)

But how would he do against sniper cat?

I'd imagine an actual security camera system would be alot so I'll show you this. All it takes is a normal webcam. I actually set this up on "gate night" (the night before halloween) and I actually caught kids egging cars on my street and forworded the pictures it took to the police and they took it to a local school and caught the kids

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/09/27...curity-camera/