GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 99 Suburban 4x4 ?

I'm fixing to get a 99 Suburban that has a manual 4x4 transfer case. The manual says that n order to shift into or out of 4low I need to b moving at 1 2 3 mph. I did this and managed to get it into 4low, but had some trouble getting back into 2wd. I had to try twice to get it back. Is this normal? Is there a special trick to get it to shift easier? Can you do it while stopped? Sorry if I sound like i'm asking a lot of questions, but before I purchase this truck, I want to know if it's gonna screw me over Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith823 View Post
    I'm fixing to get a 99 Suburban that has a manual 4x4 transfer case. The manual says that n order to shift into or out of 4low I need to b moving at 1 2 3 mph. I did this and managed to get it into 4low, but had some trouble getting back into 2wd. I had to try twice to get it back. Is this normal? Is there a special trick to get it to shift easier? Can you do it while stopped? Sorry if I sound like i'm asking a lot of questions, but before I purchase this truck, I want to know if it's gonna screw me over Thanks

The easyest way to get back to 2wd is if u back up slow !!!!!!

Welcome to the site.

I've always rolled real slow, put the tranny in nuetral, then shifted in/out of low, then the tranny back to drive gear. I haven't been in a situation, yet, where I HAD to put it in low. I've always had some lead time before I got to the muck.

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

manual in a 99? i tought they all went electronic after like 95 or so...
    1997 K1500 Silverado 4X4. Black Exterior, grey/black interior. 35X12.50X15 wheels and rubber, ProComp 6inch lift 6 shocks in the front 2 in the rear, 3 inch body lift, a few cosmetic mods. Nothing major. Custom leather interior, and stereo upgrade is the future mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Reaper View Post
    manual in a 99? i tought they all went electronic after like 95 or so...
    I'm not sure when they switched. Mine is a base model, so it's floor shift, but the other models had buttons.

'lectric bad - vice grips good!

Wink

nuetral and than switch to 2wheel drive and reverse like 10 feet or so to get out of 4 wheel drive.
    08 silverado Ext 4x4
    20's 285
    02 Blazer
    5-speed
    31 in BF Goodies
    Cold Air Intake

Default 99 Suburban 4x4

Hello all, just brought home a 59 Suburban NAPCO 4X4 and am looking for parts to restore her. I need a front windshield and a rear bench seat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am having trouble finding info on these units... links would be appreciated as well...

Thanks,

Brett.

On my 97 I use neutral then to shift then reverse for a few feet to let everything unbind.

Quote Originally Posted by chaxyunmamy View Post
    Hello all, just brought home a 59 Suburban NAPCO 4X4 and am looking for parts to restore her. I need a front windshield and a rear bench seat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am having trouble finding info on these units... links would be appreciated as well...

Thanks,

Brett.
    Brett have you tried LMC truck yet?
    For some reason that year truck isnt a real popular rebuilder, most guys go for the earlier models, 56/57 or the early 50's and late 40's.
    The 59 Suburban was a good looking truck, a surviving NAPCO conversion is real rare.
    Good luck with your build, post some pics we'd love to see her.