GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2004 Silverado has a clunking noise from the front end

Hi everyone. My truck is a 2004 Silverado 5.3, 4WD with 116k miles. Just a couple days ago, I started hearing a clunking noise coming from my front end. It seems to happen when I turn corners the most, but sometimes I hear it when I'm driving straight, and it doesn't happen on every corner. Most of the time, I have my truck in Auto 4WD, but I put it in 2WD to see if it would stop, and I still hear the clunk.

It's not the steering shaft, I know what that sounds/feels like because I've had to have it fixed before. Being that it's a snowy winter here in Wisconsin, I haven't crawled underneath. I plan to take it in soon, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of what I'm up against. Thanks.
    Last edited by Banshee; 12-18-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Just realized I posted this in the wrong section.. any way to move the thread?

thats a cv axle for sure. check your boots and see if they are torn, bad joint for sure.
    1997 K1500 Silverado 4X4. Black Exterior, grey/black interior. 35X12.50X15 wheels and rubber, ProComp 6inch lift 6 shocks in the front 2 in the rear, 3 inch body lift, a few cosmetic mods. Nothing major. Custom leather interior, and stereo upgrade is the future mods.

I have a 2003 1500 with the same problem, and its not the cv axle or any u joints. I was wondering if you figured out what the problem was?