GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Unknown Vibration (another one)

Hello all,

I have a 99 Silverado that has started giving a weird vibration when I'm in OD when driving at a consistant speed between 30 and 55 mph. I let off the gas a bit or speed up it will go away until I stay at a consistant speed. Once I'm on the highway, I can set my cruise above these speeds and there is no vibration. I have noticed that if I put the truck in 3rd that there are no vibrations at all. I have had checked out but nothing been found. Drive shafts, U Joints, all fine there. I did have to replace a wheel barring even after that still there.

Thanks for any info

is it a definite vibration from the wheels or could it be a misfire? take a look at your wheel barrings. everytime i have seen one go bad they usually shred and its very noticable that ones bad lol. look around at the whole suspension if you can and if you cant find anything at all i would get a inspeciton done. with a simple vibration its hard to diagnose anything really without any more description.
    1997 K1500 Silverado 4X4. Black Exterior, grey/black interior. 35X12.50X15 wheels and rubber, ProComp 6inch lift 6 shocks in the front 2 in the rear, 3 inch body lift, a few cosmetic mods. Nothing major. Custom leather interior, and stereo upgrade is the future mods.

I 'm not sure right from the wheels. I'm sure it's not a misfire. The mechanic I took it too checked all that and thought maybe a transmission issue because of it only happening in OD. Thanks For the info and once I get a chance in the next couple days i'll give her a good look over and let you know. I appreciate the help.

it could be your rear end going out.. the reason i say this is because when your giving it power the puts pressure from the pinion gear to the ring gear so there is no slop.. but when you let off that lets the the pinion gear slow down and not have pressure on the ring gear. if you take your differential cover off you would be able to see metal shavings or something could be broke.. also a quicker way is to take your driveline down and see if there is slop in the yoke.. or have someone watch under your truck to see if the yoke is sping when you put it in gear.. it should only move when the tires move.

hope that helps you out a little bit. and good luck
    98 Chevy Silverado
    6" lift kit
    35" toyo Mt's
    20" american racing wheels
    3" exhaust and high flow cats
    custom K&N intake
    90 hp chip
    350 vortec
    3.76 rear end or 3.73
    rebuilt bullet proof 4l60e transmission with shift kit.
    custom painted suspension and under frame
    remot start:great:
    5mpg :lol:

ps i say this cause i had the same problem.. good luck again

Legend

Easy check for wheel bearings. go for a good drive and stay dont use heavy breaking, when you come to a stop, get out and pur your hand on the center hub of each rim if they are hot then you have wheel bearing issues
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16