GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default clunk sound heard under truck when braking

I have a 94 1500 2wd suburban. When I'm driving along and step on the breaks in a normal fashion I hear a clunk under the truck as if something is sliding forward. The motor mounts are fine so it's not that. I have no idea what it could be. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

thanks.

I have alot of noises like that on my 97 1500 4x4, ive heard to check the leaf springs, ujoints, and the yoke but nothing for sure yet. its pretty cheap to have your suspension inspected, you might wnt to start there after you look around.
    1997 K1500 Silverado 4X4. Black Exterior, grey/black interior. 35X12.50X15 wheels and rubber, ProComp 6inch lift 6 shocks in the front 2 in the rear, 3 inch body lift, a few cosmetic mods. Nothing major. Custom leather interior, and stereo upgrade is the future mods.

Quote Originally Posted by humnbass View Post
    I have a 94 1500 2wd suburban. When I'm driving along and step on the breaks in a normal fashion I hear a clunk under the truck as if something is sliding forward. The motor mounts are fine so it's not that. I have no idea what it could be. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

thanks.
    I don't think what you're hearing is somthing sliding forward BUT moving back! like the upper or lower control arm. if the steering linkage all feels tight and you don't have a WASTED tie rod end i would check control arm bushings (its usually the bushing ground up into shreds and hanging out between arm and mount)

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

I'd say a combp of both suggestions before me... I had that sound on my '95 tahoe and it was the yokes on the drive shaft... I also had the same noise with my '91 Z71 pick-up but it was the sispension...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Could it be your spare tire is little loose causing it to move around a bit?
    The object is not to play the game, the object is to make it work!:glasses:

If u feel it in the break pedal, i just had that , then its your front break lines ( the rubber on the inside ) of them colapst. And then they are holding the press for a sec untill they let the break shoes lose ...thats the noise , when they pop lose !!!!!!

I got some SS braided lines know, so this can never happen again !

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses: