GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Snow Tires?

Default Snow Tires?

So, my old Goodyear Wrangler's are almost done for. Barely any tread left on them. So i was looking to get a new set of tires on the rims. The dimensions i have are 285/75r16. I would like to get a 315/75r16 or something similar in size. Not any bigger then that though. These are my winter set, so it needs to do well on ice, and very good in snow(for the play). My friend has 33" BFG AllTerrain, and they work very well and they last a very long time. But i'm looking at getting something different. I was seeing Goodyear Duratrac on a few trucks, and they look really aggressive and have nice tread, but my only concern is do they last? They are a new tire, so will i get any numbers? Here's the tread on the BFG

Here's the DuraTrac's

So, main question is, for my search, what's best for me? Anyone have any other suggestions?
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Jr. Mechanic

well just by looking at the pictures the duratrac tires have better side wall bite, wider space between the lugs for better clean out more 'water pumps' and they can accept studs,

if you plan on playing in deeper snow I would go with the duratrac

I have used the older BFG & loved them, I have heard a lot of great things with the new Good years, I actually almost bought them. The more siping(slices) in tire the better for ice & snow, the closer the tread the better for griping in snow(holds snow in tire). I have Hankooks on my truck & they work excellent in the snow.
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

Thanks, i would like to hear a few more personal opinions please!

my opinion says go with the duratracs excellent tire with outstanding traction to new to get a mileage estimate but are expected to last 50k, my other suggestion would be the wrangler silent armor less aggressive than the duratrack but comes with a 50k warranty still great snow traction and ice, just put a set on my truck and am happy so far we will see more in the next day or so when this storm hits

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Sr. Apprentice

Just bought the Duratracs Tuesday! Love these bass turds!!!!!!

They look nasty, they have great bite, they ride good with minimal noise, they are rated as a top contender, they are cheaper than alot of other tires out there.

Downfall is they are near impossible to find! Ordered mine from California last Thursday and they came in this last Tuesday.

I'll be posting up pics here soon so watch for a thread with pics with them!

Check out tirerack.com for the actual ratings and scale on how they perform. They have alot of added features that most don't know about. Like the Snowflake rating, the ability to stud them, curb protector, etc etc etc...
    Paying someone to build your car is the same as paying someone to have sex with your wife, And then bragging about it when she is pregnant....:fighting0072:

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

I've always had good luck with MasterCraft tires... I've always used MasterCraft Courset C/T's for winter...

But of your 2 options, I'd go with the DuraTrac's...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

I love the BFG AT. One of the greatest tires I have ever used and have seen used. The duratracs have been getting good reviews tho and look very good,
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

definetly go with the all-terrains from BfGoodrich, phenomenal tire

I have BFGs and have excellent traction in snow. Been on my truck for 2 yrs now and just passed safety inspection last week.
    01 Silverado Ext
    4x4
    pewter
    billet grille
    step bars

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by