GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1999 rear axle seal?

Hey guys,
    I have a situation here that I would greatly appreciate some incite on. I have a 1999 GMC suburban 2500, 4X4, 7.4L, all options. I got the biggest rear end that was offered for that model I think a Dana __ (I can't remember the number). The rear right axle seal was leaking; causing fluid to get into my drum. I removed the axle and then the bearings/seal with little issue. However, I realized that the parts needed to install the new bearings/seals would have to be ordered since I did not own them, and no one I knew had them. Now comes my predicament. From the time I removed the seal until I the time I got the install tools, I forgot which way the seal is supposed to be installed!

If I put the seal in one way, the rubber does not make contact with the bearing but would contact the axle when installed. If I install the seal the other way, the rubber makes contact with the bearing, but not with the axle. I have the GM shop manuals and they do not say which way to install it (that I can find) and I am unable to find out how it should be done.

If anyone has done this procedure or knows where I can get directions/pictures I would be most grateful.

Thank you guys for your help!

~ Dominic

WELCOME

i WILL CALL MY BUDDY ON YOUR PROBLEM HE WORKS AT CHEVY / GMC

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

if that is a full floater rear corp 14 then the seal goes in so that the rubber lip faces into the hub to keep the oil from getting past and out to tube I think thats what your askin we are talking full floater not semi with axle, flange, lugs one piece

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, thank you for the advice and for checking with your friend.
    I think the rear end is a Dana 70.

azdrtdog: I think I understand what your saying, although I'm not sure what "floater" means.

The way the rear end is set up is, you remove 8 bolts on the axle (Wheel side), then you pull the axle out. Next you remove a "hub assembly" or whatever it is called which houses your inner and outer bearings. The seal then sits against the outer (wheell) side bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by hdominic View Post
    Hey guys, thank you for the advice and for checking with your friend.
    I think the rear end is a Dana 70.

azdrtdog: I think I understand what your saying, although I'm not sure what "floater" means.

The way the rear end is set up is, you remove 8 bolts on the axle (Wheel side), then you pull the axle out. Next you remove a "hub assembly" or whatever it is called which houses your inner and outer bearings. The seal then sits against the outer (wheell) side bearing.

Yes, its a full floater !!!!!

And the way he said is correct !!!

GET-R-DONE !!!

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

WOOT! haha glad you got the answer your looking for
    1997 K1500 Silverado 4X4. Black Exterior, grey/black interior. 35X12.50X15 wheels and rubber, ProComp 6inch lift 6 shocks in the front 2 in the rear, 3 inch body lift, a few cosmetic mods. Nothing major. Custom leather interior, and stereo upgrade is the future mods.

ya thats a full floater refering to the drive axle not touching bearings even though one side bolts to the hub

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Guys thank you so much!

You turned what may have been an abysmal experience into a positive one. Thank you all for your input!

I've been on a lot of forums for different reasons and you have all been nice and great!