GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown Shock?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Default Blown Shock?

Well I finally got my S-10 fixed and running now, for the last month it has been driving excellent!
    But it seems that a black cloud is following me around still, I am getting a loud clunking sound from the back of the truck. It is doing it every time I hit any size bump in the road, or when I make a fast turn and the truck shifts onto one side or the other. PLEASE tell me that a bad shock makes a clunking noise, I hope to hell it isn't the rear end again! I have had 3 rear ends put in this truck and it only has 54,000 miles on it, these are also the original factory shocks all the way around.

I have 4 brand new Edelbrock IAS shocks for it that I bought about 3 years ago, because I got them for $50 each at Summit Racing's clearance sale. Problem is I don't feel like going out in the cold to change them, and no one will install them because I didn't buy them from them. NTB, Goodyear shop, and a few other places.

Will it do more damage if I just keep driving it on a badly worn or broken shock, there is no visible broken shock mounts or broken welds. Although I am carrying 400lbs. of sand in it right now, no I can't take the sand out because the truck is 2wd. and is horrible in snow with no weight in the bed. Thanks for any suggestions of what to look for.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Check the spare tire and make sure it's up tight against the frame.
    I once chased a thumping noise for three months only to find the tire winch wasnt holding the tire tight enough.

bring it to utah i will put on the shocks for you.

Cool Blown Shock?

If you dont want to go to have Stealth install them ( cold in Utah ) come down to southern alabama ( a nice 64 degrees today) and I will install for you, no charge-really!

Legend

If the shock was blown you would feel it more on big bumps as it would allow the axle to bounce up and down very dramatcilly after you went over the bump, the spare tire is a good idea though!!
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yeah the spare tire thing is a good idea, I never thought to check that. I couldn't check it today because we had 60 mph winds, and It was raining sideways all day! Nice Christmas hugh? I wish you guys were closer I would bring it over, I just hate to sit outside under the truck and do that when it is cold and nasty outside. I realize it's only like two bolts for each one, BUT the underside of my truck is extremely rusty to the point of 9 winters worth of harsh roads. Lot's of PB Blaster in my future I can see, thanks again!
    2004 Chevy Colorado

if you are gonna change them pbblast the hell out of em for a week. then do them. check all of the bolts in the shocks, springs, and exhaust as well. you may have a broken exhaust hangar or something. a blown shock shouldnt make any noise, just be bouncy.
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

bring it over. i will do it for you. iam only 20 miles from you. 30 pbrs will do the job. ralph

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z477/noell1947/pbr%20time/
    2004 Chevy Colorado 2wd/4l60e/3.5 Inline 5
    6-PIAA 520 series yellow ion spot lights 85 watts each
    PIAA quattro fog lights w/extreme white/yellow ion bulbs
    Anzo projector headlights/LED turn signals
    LED underbodys 7-color/LED interior lighting
    JET stage 2 performance chip/Magnaflow exhaust S/S
    Recon Big Rig Lights/LED tail lights/3rd brake light
    Putco LED bed lights/BEDRUG
    Goodmark 2" rise Cowl hood/K&N fipk intake
    98-04' Blazer overhead console & floor console
    40/60/40 seat modified to 40/console/40
    33" Cooper Discovery A/T
    16" Pro Comp extreme alloy wheels

hey pete95sierra, i m going to try that with my exhaust, i have stripped one bolt already trying to free it from its rusty home, or is it the other way around? whatever, good tip man

Legend
    Blog Entries

WELL TIM WAS RIGHT! I CRAWLED UP UNDER THE TRUCK TODAY, AND WHEN I REACHED UP TO PUSH ON THE TIRE IT WOBBLED TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT. BUT THIS ALSO UNFOLDED ANOTHER PROBLEM THAT WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SUMMER TIME, I WENT TO TIGHTEN THE WING NUT UNDER THE TIRE AND IT SNAPPED OFF FLUSH WITH THE TIRE. SO NOW WE WILL HAVE TO GET THE TORCHES OUT NEXT SUMMER AND GET IT DOWN, I AM NOT GOING TO SPEND ALL OF THAT MONEY ON A NEW ASSEMBLY FOR UP UNDER THERE. I FOUND A KIT AT JC WHITNEY THAT RELOCATES THE SPARE INTO THE BED, IT'S LIKE WHEN THEY HAD THE OLD STEP SIDE TRUCKS WITH THE TIRES HOOKED TO THE SIDE OF THE BED EXCEPT MINE WILL BE INSIDE THE BED.

THANKS AGAIN TIM, I AM SO GLAD IT WASN'T SOMETHING MAJOR OR EXPENSIVE!!
    2004 Chevy Colorado

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast