GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Cold air kit

Default Cold air kit

Santa brought a cold air intake kit for my truck, an 03 GMC 2500HD w/ 8.1 gas & Allison trans. What can I expect for performance improvement and difficulties on installation. How about noise too--is it too much? The 8.1 has all the power I need for the RV but would like the mileage to improve some. Thanks all

You'll probably need to re-tune the computer for maximum effect both in extra ponies and extra mileage. I know a lot of times (not 8.1L specific) a good tune and CAI will net you 1-2 MPG.

Heck, on my TBSS, after installing the built trans and converter, I retuned it and got 19-20 highway. But, now, after a LOT more stuff, I eeek out 15. :-(
    2003 Black Silverado LT extracab (tow vehicle): stock
    2007 Silverstone TrailBlazer SS:
    Eagle H-beam Forged Rods,Wiseco Forged pistons/rings,Kooks 1 3/4" & catted 3" Y,ATTITUDE Cam,NGK TR6 spark plugs,Scott's Wires,Melling 10296,Yank 3600,RPM Built Lvl VI ,VMS CAI,HSRK,ADM E-fans,160 Tstat,PCMforless Tune,Resonator delete,QTP e-cutout,Kbees and air bag drop,R1 Concepts Rotors,G2 Red painted calipers,Redline hood struts.Also,on the way ProchargerD1SC:glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by BigRobSA View Post
    You'll probably need to re-tune the computer for maximum effect both in extra ponies and extra mileage.-(
    Agreed, you probably won't notice any change because the MAF is calibrated to allow so much airflow into the engine and changing to a CAI isn't going to change the amount of airflow calibration of the MAF. Only a tune will do that.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Thanks guys. Great info. Does that tune have to be done at a dealer only?

No. Dealers don't tune. You'll have to find either a mail-order tuner that can send you a set of tuned computers and you'll have to send yours back OR get a handheld tuner that can change your truck's tune OR get HP Tuners and either tune it yourself ( not recommended unless you know what you're doing) or have a tuner send you a tune via email to be input via HP Tuners.
    2003 Black Silverado LT extracab (tow vehicle): stock
    2007 Silverstone TrailBlazer SS:
    Eagle H-beam Forged Rods,Wiseco Forged pistons/rings,Kooks 1 3/4" & catted 3" Y,ATTITUDE Cam,NGK TR6 spark plugs,Scott's Wires,Melling 10296,Yank 3600,RPM Built Lvl VI ,VMS CAI,HSRK,ADM E-fans,160 Tstat,PCMforless Tune,Resonator delete,QTP e-cutout,Kbees and air bag drop,R1 Concepts Rotors,G2 Red painted calipers,Redline hood struts.Also,on the way ProchargerD1SC:glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
    Thanks guys. Great info. Does that tune have to be done at a dealer only?
    Check this out. He did the tune on my rig and I was very impressed.

http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Default Tune

Keep in mind that you may get MAF failure indictaor with some CAIs. The CAI model should have some recommended tunes on their website. I would consult with them as well.

Default MAF stuck

Thanks for all the great info guys. I really appreciate that. Once it warms up a little I'll try to install the kit again. I tried it a week ago but it was so cold the MAF was stuck tight in the airbox. Maybe the warm will help. If it ever get warm again--help Florida.