GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default Silver Star Ultra Bulbs

Hello everyone. I hope you all had a great christmas and got everything you wanted for your truck. I'm looking at up grading my front head lights and I really dont want HIDs cuz my truck is already a wiring nightmare. So my question is, is there a big difference between silver star ultra bulbs and the stock bulbs that come in the truck? I know they are supposed to be a brighter and whiter light than stock, but is there a significant difference?

Thanks and Happy Holidays

2007 Silverado Crew Cab
    5.3 L Vortec V8
    LT1 Package
    Driver Information Center (from gmpartsclub.com)
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6000k HID DDMTuning Kit
    LED tailgate bar 3rd brake light
    LED lights for foot wells
    LED Side Bars
    LED Headlight Accents
    Husky Mud Guards

I had Silver Stars. The problem they dont last long. Meaning they burn out. Look for a buld that has a lifetime warranty.

how long ago did you get yours? because ive heard they have made improvements on them to last a little longer

HID's really don't have alot of extra wiring, its plug in and play.

2003 Silverado LT

ok. so what is the whole process for installing a HID kit or does anyone have a link that explains it? i saw a video on youtube that looked really complicated.

All you have to do on an 05' is unplug the plug from your headlight bulb. Plug that plug into the ballast that comes with the kit. Take the plug that comes out of the ballast and plug it into the back of the HID bulb that you replace your stock bulb with. Find a good clean surface to mount the ballast too. It comes with double sided tape. That's it. I assume that it's the same for yours.
    Red 05 Silverado. Ram-Air Hood w/custom paint. Cold Air Intake, Black 20" Wheels w/Polished Lip. Lowered 2" in rear, Tint, Custom Front Bumper, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, Color Matched Grill w/Billet Inserts, Debadged Tailgate, Red LED Underdash Lighting, DDMTuning HID's - 8000k in lows & fogs. Smoked Foglights

Legend
    Blog Entries

I bought the PIAA extreme white halogen bulbs in the H1 style, for both my high beams and low beams and I loved them. Yeah I know they are expensive, I was tempted to buy the Silverstars until I heard about the short life of them. I have had mine in for 2 years, and they are still working nicely! Here's a video if you want to see them in action, and keep in mind these are projector headlights as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-psa0rMKQ"]YouTube- Matrix projector headlights[/ame]
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Len View Post
    I had Silver Stars. The problem they dont last long. Meaning they burn out. Look for a buld that has a lifetime warranty.
    I had the burnout problem with the PIAA bulbs. I installed the Silverstars and they haven't burned out <yet>.

The PIAA's were a little brighter and a lot more expensive. I've only been running the Silverstars for a little less than a year but so far so good.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Ive run the silverstars in my wifes car for a few years and they are a brighter white than typical halogens. I found the filaments to break very easily though. Just swapped them out for HID's in her car and projector lenses(for christmas) cuz she still complained they werent bright enough. It was simple enough just had to modify the housing where the wires went into the lens and wasnt anywhere to mount the ballast but I found a spot to tuck them away.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coolwheels05 View Post
    All you have to do on an 05' is unplug the plug from your headlight bulb. Plug that plug into the ballast that comes with the kit. Take the plug that comes out of the ballast and plug it into the back of the HID bulb that you replace your stock bulb with. Find a good clean surface to mount the ballast too. It comes with double sided tape. That's it. I assume that it's the same for yours.
    since you just installed yours, could you give us a post on how-to install them? with pics?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by