GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation Off the line is killin me

i have an 06 silverado with the 5.3 vortec. idk if its always been doin this or not, but i dont think it has. well the other day i was at a red light and a friend in his ford f150 with intake and exaust pulled up and we raced. well off the line he smoked me bad!! by like 2 trucks, but after a couple seconds i caught up and left him! but once the light turned green i pumched it and my truck felt like it just kinda rolled off the line till about 15-20 mph. i dont think its been like that but idk. could something be causing that or what! and to stop it off my rear end locked up on me about 2 hours later. could that of been the problem? when im on the roll like going about 35 its the sweet spot. but off the line it doesnt try to spin the tires a little or anything. or is this usual?? help please. i cant let my friend with the ford have another victory off the line

2006 silverado z71
    295-70-R17 nitto trail grapplers
    flowmaster 40 series dumped
    2'' rough country leveling kit
    k&n CAI
    throttle body spacer
    De-badged
    15'' kicker cvr & 2 10'' kicker cvr /w 1800 watt kenwood amp
    7'' jvc kw avx810 double din
    diablosport predator

I had the TransGo shift kit installed in my 99 Silverado w/ the 4L60E to fix the P1970 code, and one of the great things to come out of it was that there is now almost 0 slip with the tranny. If I STOMP on it from a stop the power is immediate. Plus every gear pulls harder as sson as it shifts. If I get another Silverado I will be putting in the shift kit just for the "beefed" up tranny it makes. Also my truck was starting to feel sluggish and on cold mornings when first started would rumble like it was going to die. Dumped 2 cans of SeaFoam into the tank and filled up. One tank later and no more rumbling on startup, no matter how cold it is outside, and now the truck runs like brand new.
    99 Silverado 1500 Z71
    5.3L 4L60E Tranny
    TransGo Shift Kit
    2.5" Rough Country
    Suspension Lift
    33" BF Good A/T
    Cherry Bomb Turbo
    Cobra CB w/
    Dual Fiberglass Antennas

01 Kawasaki KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by nickpatton_189 View Post
    i have an 06 silverado with the 5.3 vortec. idk if its always been doin this or not, but i dont think it has. well the other day i was at a red light and a friend in his ford f150 with intake and exaust pulled up and we raced. well off the line he smoked me bad!! by like 2 trucks, but after a couple seconds i caught up and left him! but once the light turned green i pumched it and my truck felt like it just kinda rolled off the line till about 15-20 mph. i dont think its been like that but idk. could something be causing that or what! and to stop it off my rear end locked up on me about 2 hours later. could that of been the problem? when im on the roll like going about 35 its the sweet spot. but off the line it doesnt try to spin the tires a little or anything. or is this usual?? help please. i cant let my friend with the ford have another victory off the line
    The problem you describe is TM or "Torque Management" GM's way of preserving the transmission. Instead of building a better/stronger transmission they have placed TM in the programming to pull timing before each shift when you get into it hard What happens then is exactly what you describe, very poor off the line performance. I spent a small fortune when I had my avalanche CIA, full exhaust, hand held tuner etc..didn't help off the line. had a tuner remove the TM and what a difference. I did however also have the trans built, HD-2 shift kit, billet servos etc. I believe the Predator hand held can remove at least some of TM and help you out or get a tune from a reputable tuner... you don't have to remove all of it.

Hope that helps, also one more thing that may or may not help is the fact that the trans has adaptable or a learning to the way you drive. If you take the truck to a good spot to stop, then go wide open for like three runs through the gears, the truck will learn to hold the shifts out longer...

Danv

Dont let my low post numbers scare you I spend most my time on LS1, PT.net, CAFCNA etc... but since I now have a "classic" I'm looking around here..

Quote Originally Posted by sc99z71 View Post
    I had the TransGo shift kit installed in my 99 Silverado w/ the 4L60E to fix the P1970 code, and one of the great things to come out of it was that there is now almost 0 slip with the tranny. If I STOMP on it from a stop the power is immediate. Plus every gear pulls harder as sson as it shifts. If I get another Silverado I will be putting in the shift kit just for the "beefed" up tranny it makes. Also my truck was starting to feel sluggish and on cold mornings when first started would rumble like it was going to die. Dumped 2 cans of SeaFoam into the tank and filled up. One tank later and no more rumbling on startup, no matter how cold it is outside, and now the truck runs like brand new.
    could you give us some more info on that kit? i wouldn't mind something like that for my truck

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    could you give us some more info on that kit? i wouldn't mind something like that for my truck
    Google TranGo shift kit and look under the GM section and look for the 4L60E trans applications and then look for the one that fixes the P1870 code. Also talk to your local trans shop about it. A good one should know all about it, mine did. They put mine in for $250, parts included.
    99 Silverado 1500 Z71
    5.3L 4L60E Tranny
    TransGo Shift Kit
    2.5" Rough Country
    Suspension Lift
    33" BF Good A/T
    Cherry Bomb Turbo
    Cobra CB w/
    Dual Fiberglass Antennas

01 Kawasaki KLR650

ok, thanks a lot

Found it !!!!!!!!

http://www.transgo.com/sk_generalmtrs.php

Thanks also .

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

yea just wanted to say i just purchsed a diablo tuner and installed the performance tune and didnt see much diff off the line till about 5 mins when i was messin with it and turned the torque management off and wow what diff.

2006 silverado z71
    295-70-R17 nitto trail grapplers
    flowmaster 40 series dumped
    2'' rough country leveling kit
    k&n CAI
    throttle body spacer
    De-badged
    15'' kicker cvr & 2 10'' kicker cvr /w 1800 watt kenwood amp
    7'' jvc kw avx810 double din
    diablosport predator