GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have a 07 Silverado with the 5.3 and it has started consuming oil at a rate of 1 quart per 500 miles. The dealer told me that 1 quart per 2000 miles was acceptable and that GM engineers had changed the ring design to achieve better fuel economy and that there wasn't anything wrong with mine. What a load of BS !!!!! This is a LTZ model with only 39K miles and using anything more than a 1/2 quart between oil changes is unacceptable.

Unhappy 5.3 oil consumption

My 2007 Silverado LTZ has suddenly developed a taste for oil. Hell, it has become a 2 stroke engine judging from the 4 quarts of oil it burns between oil changes !

It has 39K miles and I change oil and filter every 3-4K miles. Dealer told me that this was normal and that GM engineers had changed the ring design for this engine to get better fuel economy. I guess they mean burning oil makes it burn less fuel ? What a bunch of horse sh#t !!!

ok guys let me tell yall whats going on.

the d-o-d motors are having horrible oil consumption problems. acouple months ago a gm rep flat out told us they didnt know what the problem was to just tell customers to keep on drivin. Now theyr having us replace the pistons. i think replacing the pistons is just to get the customers out of warantee.

I think the oil is getting sucked passed the ring lands when the cyl is shut down due to the high vacuum, then when the cyl turns back on (we're talking milliseconds) to keep the cyl temp up to par, bye bye oil

ok now on to the regular 5.3's. Theres an updated valve cover now. some of the old designs had oil seeping bast the baffles and into the intake. Some also bad heads causing the oil consumption

eather or if your rig is burning oil keep on the dealers ass. drain alittle out if you have to before you bring your rig in.

If you have a dod motor, sell it!
    GM TECH

05 silverado shortbed

o yah, 1 qt per 2-3k is normal. every time your piston goes up and down it leaves a thin film of oil on the cyl. walls. cant expect it to be there after the combustion. not many people check their oil before they change it, but its always usually in the middle mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12