GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Traction Activated

I have a 2004 1500 LT Suburban - occasionally after the car has been stopped at a light or a stop sign and you accelerate slowly the truck stutters and the "traction activated" message comes on, if you release the gas pedal and then accelerate it works fine. Of course every time I take it to a mechanic it doesn't happen and there are no codes that are stored to say anything is wrong, they suspect it may be a bad sensor in one of the wheels. Has this happened to anyone else, any idea of what may be wrong - it is happening more and more often but still not when I am at a mechanics shop

Steve

I've had the same issue. 2004 Burb 1500 LT w/stability system. Have owned the veh since new and have had problems with the stability since first owned (otherwise, a GREAT vehicle and hoping to get 250k out of it). Dealer was unable to find the bug after repeated visits, so they gave me an extended warranty to 100k, which I was satisfied with as the issue never seemed to affect drivability--until recently. Truck has 157k on it, and the "Service Stability" message comes on, along with lights on the dash for a) ABS, and b) the light that comes on when the Traction control is disengaged. Will flash on and off repeatedly. I have not pulled the code from it yet--I'll let you know what I find.

My cousin owns a Firestone up north so its a long way to go but he said he thinks it is the ABS ring that may be cracked - says he will check the codes as well, hope to get there this week, I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Same exact description with 2005 Cadillac Escalade EXT. Only way to deal with it is to turn off the stabilitrak by hitting dash button. Otherwise loss of power can put you at risk if you have to enter traffic from a stop. I paid for the AllData subscription and came across a technical bulletin addressed to the dealers that talks about a re-flash or reprogram of one of the control modules. I haven't seen a dealer about it, hate to ever go to a dealer for anything unless under warranty. I'm hopeful that the NHTSA will force GM to recall them for the safety hazard of losing power like that. Obviously the control module is defective, no cracked brake ring found when I removed both front wheels to inspect for that.

Yaw Rate Reference Table Reset Procedure -found this on AllData...
    Circuit Description
    Optimum vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) function is dependant on many variables. The characteristics of a specific vehicle, that affect vehicle handling or input signals to the electronic brake control module (EBCM) , ultimately determine how the VSES operates. The basic EBCM software must be fine tuned as the vehicle is operated. This logic is referred to as adaptive learning.

Adaptive learning is accomplished by maintaining a yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer data table in the EBCM memory. As the vehicle is operated, the table is populated with data that is later referenced, and sometimes modified, to allow the EBCM to provide the best possible stability control for the specific vehicle.

Important:
    If the data in the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer data table becomes unreliable, false activations of the VSES, poor VSES performance or false setting of DTC C0186 or C0196 may result.

A replacement EBCM may have some unreliable data stored in the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer data table. For this reason, it is important to perform the yaw rate reference table reset procedure after replacing the EBCM.
    Replacement of the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer or the installation of different size tires may also the data stored in the table to become unreliable. Therefore, the yaw rate reference table reset procedure must be performed.

This procedure is to be used only for vehicles equipped with VSES (JL4).
    Turn OFF the ignition.
    Disconnect the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer harness connector.
    Start the engine.
    Apply firm and steady pressure to the brake pedal for at least 10 seconds.
    Turn OFF the ignition.
    Reconnect the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer harness connector.
    Turn ON the ignition and use the scan tool to clear the DTCs.

Bulletin No.: 05-05-25-003B
    Date: February 22, 2006
    TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Service Stability Message On, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) C0131, C0196, C0290 and/or C0292 Set (Inspect/Replace Yaw Rate Sensor/Lateral Accelerometer and Reprogram Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM))

Models:
    2004-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
    2004-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
    2004-2006 GMC Yukon Models

with Control, Active Brake (RPO JL4)
    Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to update model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-05-25-003A (Section OS - Brakes).
    Condition
    Some customers may comment on a Service Stability Message on the Drivers Information Center (DIC).
    Diagnosis with a scan tool may indicate a DTC C0131, C0196, C0290 and/or C0292 is set.
    Cause
    There are two possible causes for this issue. Both possible causes are listed below:
    ^An internal fault within the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer, P/N 15189628, may be the first possible cause.
    ^The vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) electronic brake traction control module (EBCM) calibration may be the second possible cause.

DTC Diagnostic Information
    ^DTC C0131
    ^DTC C0196
    ^DTC C0290 or C0292 (w/JL4)

Correction
    Follow the procedure below to inspect the part number on the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
    1.Inspect the part number on the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
    2.Remove the passenger seat from the vehicle in order to gain access to the sensor. Refer to Seat Replacement - Front Bucket in Seats.
    3.Pull the carpet back in order to gain access to the sensor.
    Important: ^OLD yaw rate sensors/lateral accelerometers have a part number on the sensor bracket of P/N 15189628.
    IMPROVED yaw rate sensors/lateral accelerometers have a part number on the sensor bracket of P/N 15220053.
    4.Inspect the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer part number located on the sensor bracket.
    ^OLD yaw rate sensors/lateral accelerometers have a part number of P/N 15189628.
    ^IMPROVED yaw rate sensors/lateral accelerometers have a part number of P/N 15220053.
    Important: Replace the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer, P/N 15189628, with new sensor, P/N 15220053
    5.Remove the nuts retaining the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer to the vehicle.
    6.Disconnect the electrical connector from the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
    7.Remove the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer from the vehicle.
    8.Install the new yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer, P/N 15220053, to the vehicle.
    Note: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
    9.Install the nuts retaining the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer to the vehicle.
    Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 10 N.m (89 lb in).
    Important: The yaw rate reference reset procedure must be performed when replacing the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
    10.Perform the YAW rate reference table reset procedure. Refer to Yaw Rate Reference Table Reset Procedure.
    11.Connect the electrical connector to the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
    12.Install the carpet.
    13.Install the passenger seat to the vehicle. Refer to Seat Replacement - Front Bucket in Seats.
    Important: Failure to reprogram the EBCM may result in a repeat repair.
    14.Reprogram the EBCM (referred to as the VSES Module in SPS) with the most current VSES software available through SPS. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS).

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevengerard View Post
    I have a 2004 1500 LT Suburban - occasionally after the car has been stopped at a light or a stop sign and you accelerate slowly the truck stutters and the "traction activated" message comes on, if you release the gas pedal and then accelerate it works fine. Of course every time I take it to a mechanic it doesn't happen and there are no codes that are stored to say anything is wrong, they suspect it may be a bad sensor in one of the wheels. Has this happened to anyone else, any idea of what may be wrong - it is happening more and more often but still not when I am at a mechanics shop

Steve
    Im having the same problem with my 2007 Silverado 1500 Classic. I just bought it today and didn't realize it wasnt suppose to do that. Now I am wondering if I should bring it in to the local Chevy dealer to be looked at. I still have the remainder of the powertrain warranty left, hopefully it covered!

Jeff

I had both front sensors replaced and it seems to have fixed the problem. At one point there was a very cold rain and the truck did the same thing and it sounded like there was an electrical crackling sound from under the dash and the headlights dimmed But then I tried to make that happen again and nothing. So far it seems that replacing the sensors has done its job

I've got the same traction control problem and it is happening more and more often. From what I read on the internet and talking to a mechanic I know, it is probably a bad wheel speed sensor. It seems to be pretty common on these trucks. I'm told to watch the scan tool while the the problem occurs and you can see one of the sensor readings "fall" out. I called the Actron scan tool people and they told me their CP9580 scanner will read the wheel sensor data. It's 199 bucks at Advance Auto Parts. I'm on my way to get one and will post results later.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by novaracer View Post
    I've got the same traction control problem and it is happening more and more often. From what I read on the internet and talking to a mechanic I know, it is probably a bad wheel speed sensor. It seems to be pretty common on these trucks. I'm told to watch the scan tool while the the problem occurs and you can see one of the sensor readings "fall" out. I called the Actron scan tool people and they told me their CP9580 scanner will read the wheel sensor data. It's 199 bucks at Advance Auto Parts. I'm on my way to get one and will post results later.
    Dont waste your time replacing just the sensor. You have to replace the whole hub assembly. Dont ask how I learned that...