GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Sr. Apprentice sgt_in_usaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Grand Forks AFB, ND
    Posts
    53

    Exclamation 2001 Suburban Died, Won't Start

    I have a 01 Suburban 1500 with a serious problem. About a week and a half ago it died while idling in park. Took a few seconds but it did start again and drove with no problems. Then a few days ago it died just as I was pulling into my driveway and wouldn't start at all. I hooked up my scan tool and it showed P0706 (Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Range/Performance). I tried clearing to see if maybe it was just a bad sensor or something and it fired right up. It ran normally until yesterday when it died idling again and wouldn't start. Hooked up the tool and this time it showed U1041 (Loss of EBCM Communication) and P0335 (Magnetic Crankshaft Position Sensor Electrical Error). Tried clearning it again but it still won't start and it won't show any DTCs now. The engine will turn over when starting, but just won't actually start. With it being the same problem but different codes, I'm thinking this could the be the ECU. What do you guys think?

    Thanks a lot for your advice!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Andrew
    Grand Forks AFB, ND

    2001 Chevy Suburban LT K1500 V8 5.3L 4x4
    - 16" Goodyear Wrangler Fortera tires
    - K&N air filter

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_in_usaf View Post
    I have a 01 Suburban 1500 with a serious problem. About a week and a half ago it died while idling in park. Took a few seconds but it did start again and drove with no problems. Then a few days ago it died just as I was pulling into my driveway and wouldn't start at all. I hooked up my scan tool and it showed P0706 (Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Range/Performance). I tried clearing to see if maybe it was just a bad sensor or something and it fired right up. It ran normally until yesterday when it died idling again and wouldn't start. Hooked up the tool and this time it showed U1041 (Loss of EBCM Communication) and P0335 (Magnetic Crankshaft Position Sensor Electrical Error). Tried clearning it again but it still won't start and it won't show any DTCs now. The engine will turn over when starting, but just won't actually start. With it being the same problem but different codes, I'm thinking this could the be the ECU. What do you guys think?

    Thanks a lot for your advice!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    I had the same thing on my 96 Suburban. changed crank sensor and everything,,,now waiting for new ECM and then see waht happens !!!!

    And HAPPY NEW YEAR TO U too,

    1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

  3. #3
    Sr. Apprentice sgt_in_usaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Grand Forks AFB, ND
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Hopefully that will do it. Good luck to you. Where did you find an ECM from?
    Andrew
    Grand Forks AFB, ND

    2001 Chevy Suburban LT K1500 V8 5.3L 4x4
    - 16" Goodyear Wrangler Fortera tires
    - K&N air filter

  4. #4
    Legend unplugged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    High Deserts of SoCal
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Will it start with the help of starting fluid?
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_in_usaf View Post
    Hopefully that will do it. Good luck to you. Where did you find an ECM from?

    E-BAY !!!!!!!!!......here

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

    1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

  6. #6
    Sr. Apprentice sgt_in_usaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Grand Forks AFB, ND
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Haven't tried. I'm fairly confident that this is an electronic, not mechanical problem. It's worth a shot I guess. Never used that stuff before, where do I spray it and do I do it while cranking it or before cranking?
    Andrew
    Grand Forks AFB, ND

    2001 Chevy Suburban LT K1500 V8 5.3L 4x4
    - 16" Goodyear Wrangler Fortera tires
    - K&N air filter

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Will it start with the help of starting fluid?


    NO !!!!!!!!!!, its not a fuel problem .


    Sarge,,,,,,DON'T USE STARTING FLUID !!!!!!!!!!!

    1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

  8. #8
    Sr. Apprentice sgt_in_usaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Grand Forks AFB, ND
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Didn't really think that the fuel system was the problem.

    Funny thing...I tried starting it today for grins and giggles and it started right up no problem. Problem now is that yesterday it had died inside one of the indoor car wash stalls on base and today they disabled all the roll up doors since it's -23 and they don't want anyone using them when it's below -10...and now they're off work until Tuesday :( LoL So hopefully it'll still start on Tuesday and I can at least get it home.

    Now, I am convinced this is an electronic problem, not mechanical. Anyone know if this would be the ECM or could it be some other system/circuit?
    Andrew
    Grand Forks AFB, ND

    2001 Chevy Suburban LT K1500 V8 5.3L 4x4
    - 16" Goodyear Wrangler Fortera tires
    - K&N air filter

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_in_usaf View Post
    Didn't really think that the fuel system was the problem.

    Funny thing...I tried starting it today for grins and giggles and it started right up no problem. Problem now is that yesterday it had died inside one of the indoor car wash stalls on base and today they disabled all the roll up doors since it's -23 and they don't want anyone using them when it's below -10...and now they're off work until Tuesday :( LoL So hopefully it'll still start on Tuesday and I can at least get it home.

    Now, I am convinced this is an electronic problem, not mechanical. Anyone know if this would be the ECM or could it be some other system/circuit?

    The only thing i could think of is the ignition switch, it basicly powers the ECM !!!!

    I will hopefully find out soon on my 96 !!

    1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

  10. #10
    Sr. Apprentice sgt_in_usaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Grand Forks AFB, ND
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Roger that. I'll try that if it doesn't cost too much. Please post an update when you get your ECM!
    Andrew
    Grand Forks AFB, ND

    2001 Chevy Suburban LT K1500 V8 5.3L 4x4
    - 16" Goodyear Wrangler Fortera tires
    - K&N air filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Battery not charging and '03 Suburban died
    By Snoburbun in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 11:17 PM
  2. 2001 1500 hard to start
    By bajahucks in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 11:24 AM
  3. 2001 Silverado Z-71 wont start
    By egt1 in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 11:59 PM
  4. 96 suburban engine died while driving on freeway
    By sameday09 in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 07:02 AM
  5. 2001 S10 - Good Starter - No Start
    By F E Knucklebuster in forum Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 05:49 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •