GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Equinox AWD mod?

My 2005 Equinox LT AWD has an irritating trait: When you are stopped and try to begin driving on a slippery surface, the front wheels spin quite a bit before power is routed to the rear. This means your studded tires are being abused, and if there is a slope to the side, the front of the car will begin to slide that way before you begin to move. Giving lots of throttle speeds the process, but really isn't a good solution.
    Has anyone with in-depth knowledge of the control system come up with a way to cause the power to be diverted to the rear? A momentary contact switch on the dash or console would be fine - just to make it engage when really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by russerts View Post
    My 2005 Equinox LT AWD has an irritating trait: When you are stopped and try to begin driving on a slippery surface, the front wheels spin quite a bit before power is routed to the rear. This means your studded tires are being abused, and if there is a slope to the side, the front of the car will begin to slide that way before you begin to move. Giving lots of throttle speeds the process, but really isn't a good solution.
    Has anyone with in-depth knowledge of the control system come up with a way to cause the power to be diverted to the rear? A momentary contact switch on the dash or console would be fine - just to make it engage when really needed.
    The transfer case module should see the slip and compensate for it. Have you checked your system for trouble codes? A faulty speed sensor will cause this problem.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    The transfer case module should see the slip and compensate for it. Have you checked your system for trouble codes? A faulty speed sensor will cause this problem.
    I get zero for trouble codes (for which I'm thankful!), and a service rep I spoke to back when the car was pretty new gave me to believe that this is normal operation. He said that he worked at a Saturn dealer previously and the Vue was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by russerts View Post
    I get zero for trouble codes (for which I'm thankful!), and a service rep I spoke to back when the car was pretty new gave me to believe that this is normal operation. He said that he worked at a Saturn dealer previously and the Vue was the same.
    Just curious, what scan tool did you use?

Default Scanner ID

I have an Innova 3100 - bought back when any scanner under $100 was a screaming deal.