GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Alt. failed, now lose idle - HELP!

Well I started with just a bad voltage regulator in the Alternator it was on ( charging) then off. My wife drove it two short distances in one day the second of which the car would not start. The alternator showed a bad regulator in the alternator so I replaced the alternator with a new one. Charging is back. Now I have the problem of a low idle, so low when turn into a parking spot or driveway and the AC on it dies. Changed the plugs and wires today, its a little better but still dies.

It is a 2003 Sub and has 187000 miles. Runs great, does not burn any oil. Anybody got any ideas?

Sr. Engineer

Have you checked the battery? Your bad alternator plus totally discharging it might have wrecked some of the cells in it..

I haven't checked the battery but I will. It seems to start fine so I assumed it was good. A GM guy thinks the Throttle body needs a good cleaning by removing the thing and making sure 187000 miles hasn't gotten it dirtied up. So that's on for tonight. The idlle valve may be stciking a little, we'll see and let you know.
    Last edited by 06GTOM6; 01-06-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Well the throttle body was the problem. Don't ask me why. I pulled it of and totally cleaned it with cleaner, put it back on andthe problem cleared. There was a ridge of soot built up aroun the edge of the throttle flapper which mad a big influence at idle.

Guess what? My transmission started shifting smoother and also the HVAC seems to work better.