GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default cranks but won't start

new to the forum and haven't had a chance to read over some of the other threads that may have already answered my question but here it goes.
    my tank was extremely low on gas and I went to put some in. put a little over 1/4 tank and drove home with no problems. about 15 minutes later, I came out and it started up with no problems. a few blocks down it started to bog down when I tried to accelerate. turned around and put it in the garage. the next day, started it up and it bogged down the same way. I replaced the fuel filter first but the problem persisted. Someone had told me the filter on the fuel pump was probably clogged, so I dropped the tank and removed the filter on the bottom of the fuel pump as they don't sell a replacement filter for the pump. you have to buy the whole fuel pump. I sprayed some starter fluid into the throttle body and the truck fired right up and sounded like a champ. Revved it up and no problems. a few minutes later and I revved it and it bogged down again and then just shut off. It hasn't started up again since.
    I checked the wires and I have spark to the plugs. I checked the fuel rail and I have gas at the valve behind the intake although I didn't check the exact pressure.
    A friend hooked up to the computer and there were no codes, but it did say "misfire detected"
    Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
    2002 silverado 4.3L V6 with 68,000 miles
    Last edited by duece209; 01-05-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Sr. Apprentice

I'd take a look at the fuel pump. When they go bad they get hot and don't pump enough pressure to run the engine. When they cool down, they sometimes work again for a short period before getting hot again.
    2001 2500HD 4x4 8.1L/ally,CCSB,diablo with diablew tuned and too much to list....

If it runs on starting fluid, then the problem is the pump.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

it ran on starter fluid once. but hasn't the next couple of times i tried it.

so I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 60psi. now I'm really stumped as to what it might be.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by duece209 View Post
    so I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 60psi. now I'm really stumped as to what it might be.
    Did you check your pressure when the pump was hot? Read my above post. When these things get hot wire/s get brittle and shut down.
    Just a thought.