GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Exhaust Noise

Default Exhaust Noise

So, i cut off my cats today, and now i hear as if i have an exhaust leak all the time when driving. i expected to be able to hear the flow of the exhaust, but it's pretty loud. Does everyone have this? I've tested the exhaust outside, there's no leaks. Welds are solid. Is this something i just have to deal with?
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Sr. Apprentice

I cut mine out and didnt really notice much change in the sound. Check if its leaking where the pipes bolt to the manifold. thats where mine cracked. If that isnt it just make sure everrything is really tight. And if thats not it sorry i couldnt be more help.
    Andy aka Shmeag

97 Silverado Z71
    5.7 350
    2'' lift
    2 10'' subs 800w amp

Master Mechanic

how does it sound other than the noise?ive been having problems with exhaust heat shields underneath the truck rattling pretty bad.its been driving me insane and i only hear it in the cab while driving.could that be it or are you positive it sounds like a leak?
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

lol It's a leak thats for sure. There's two or three in my welding. Other then the leaks. Wow, does my truck sound good now. It's so much deeper. And it crackles(not really my forte but it still sounds great) on the way down from high RPM's. My check engine light never came on, and i got alot more power.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat

yeah i would say to check the welds over again and just move your hand around the weld without touchin the pipes of course and feel for the exhaust leak. I had a couple spots on mine that i missed when i welded my new muffler on my old suv and did this to find them then threw some simple little welds on it and it sounded good.

What does it sound like? Is a like a repetitive "ticking" that varies with engine RPM?
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

How i know that they're leaks:

When i start it in the cold morning, there's exhaust pluming out from the new welds! Haha! Do you guys think JB 'ing it would work, because the places that are leaking there is no way i will weld up there.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb

JBWeld works awesome on anything and everything. You already know that.