GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Started de-badging...

Well, I got bored today and had been thinking about debadging for a while. Since I had loads of time to kill, I figured I would start with the tailgate. I wasn't particularly fond of the big ol' CHEVROLET across the back, so I pulled it off (didn't use any heat or anything, left a surprisingly little amount of glue/tape). I took the tailgate off, set it on a couple of stands, and got to work. I got most of the glue off with a mixture of Automotive Goo-Gone, Goof-off, soap & water, and some rubbing with my tumbs (ouch!).

I think it looks much better now. My tailgate and bed are both pretty heavily covered in minor scratches/scuffs, which you can (sort of) see in the pics. There is still two lines form the top and bottom of the emblem I can't seem to get off. It's not glue or tape or two big scratches. It's just... idk, a line on the paint from the emblem. Any suggestions for this?

I'm debating on whether or not I should do the whole truck. Your thoughts?

Before:

After (removed the emblem, Dellenbaugh Chevrolet emblem, and Corbett Auto sticker):
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

I would try a good wax and buff. Then if it doesn't clear it all the way it might minimize it.

I know the whole truck needs a REALLY god wax and buff lol. I waxed the tailgate, but it was just a quick half-assed job with no real buffing. I need one of those eraser wheels, but I'm flat broke...

What about a rubbing compound followed up by a good wax?

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Cool starterd de-badging

Tailgate looks much better. I would do rest of truck. Debadged my 96 Suburban,05 Silverado and wifes Trailblazer. All looked alot cleaner.

Unfortunately your truck has some years on it, and in my experience the paint has just slightly faded. You prolly wont be able to get it all off, but wax'ing it will DEF help. Good luck.

9'' Sway Aways Suspension w/ 2.5 coil resevour
    Allied Exhaust Systems
    Regeared (cant remember ratio)
    20'' Black XD Hoss
    37'' Toyo Open County
    Rear Fox Shocks
    Painted Front End Black
    Painted Rear End Black
    After-market Head lights / tail lights / third brake light
    Pioneer AVH-P4100 DVD Head Unit
    12'' Solo Baric L7 (x2) with custom box
    Fosgate Door Speakers / Tweeters
    K&N Air IntakePin it.... To Win It.

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

I did this with my '95 Tahoe...

Before...

After...

The following is what was removed:
    - All Badges and Emblems
    - All Side Mouldings
    - All Wheel Well Trim

Plus I installed a smooth front bumper...

IMHO trucks look soo much better "naked"...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by Murdered-Knight View Post
    Unfortunately your truck has some years on it, and in my experience the paint has just slightly faded. You prolly wont be able to get it all off, but wax'ing it will DEF help. Good luck.
    I know I can't make it look perfect, but I'm givin' her all the help I can!! 20 years and 182k takes it toll on a truck haha. There doesn't seem to be a real noticable difference in the tones of paint, at least not that I've seen (yet).

We got another 4" of snow here today, so it might be a few months at least before it's worth giving her a real good wax/buff all over. It's on my list when the weather is nice enough, though. There's a lot of scuffs and scratches that I think could be taken care of with a good waxing.

I came across a picture of chevyboy96's black 96 ext. cab (like mine, just newer and nicer ) that had been debadged including the trim along the bottom. Once I saw that, my mind was set - tomorrow, I'm bustin out the hair dryer (or propane torch if the need arises), the lawn chair, and whatever other tools I may need to get the job done.

@TritonBoulder - That's a nice 'hoe! A cowl hood, widshield visor w/clearance lights, and upgraded head/marker/brake lights are on my list of mods to do, along with about a million other things. Ah, if only I had the money...
    Last edited by bigburb; 01-06-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigburb View Post
    @TritonBoulder - That's a nice 'hoe! A cowl hood, widshield visor w/clearance lights, and upgraded head/marker/brake lights are on my list of mods to do, along with about a million other things. Ah, if only I had the money...
    True that bro... I have a ton of stuff on the list for my Av...

Sr. Apprentice

I know how that goes I just recently had my tranny rebuilt twice, water pump replaced and oil cooler lines replaced. And to top it off now my alignment is off so im too broke to add anything to my truck lately. but Your tailgate looks good. seems like a cheep easy way to completely change the look of your truck. nice
    Andy aka Shmeag

97 Silverado Z71
    5.7 350
    2'' lift
    2 10'' subs 800w amp

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by