GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default starts then dies

have a 2000 k2500
    starts right up and then dies
    every time i turn off the ignition and retry
    checked the fuel at the rail, turn on ignition, depress shrader valve and fuel sqirts out and then stops
    got a new fuel pump but do not want to install it until i make sure that is not the the problem
    replaced tps
    replaced fuel pump relay and still the same problem
    will not run enough to move.
    think it is a fuel delivery problem

suggestions please
    thanks

Have you disc.the batt. lately or had the power get shut off..sounds like the antitheft is that light flashing?

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Measure the fuel pressure. If the pressure does test low, be sure to check the following:

• Fuel filter?
    • Also the return line has to be working for the pump to be working properly. Check to make sure it isn't pinched or obstructed. Blow compressed air through the line, you should hear it returning to the tank.
    • I've seen the wrong gas cap cause this trouble too.
    • The oil pressure switch is part of the fuel pump circuit. Check the connector and you can bypass it for testing.

If your 2500 is a truck, some have suggested that it is easier to remove the bed, than drop the tank.
    I have always dropped the tank, and its a pain.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Measure the fuel pressure. If the pressure does test low, be sure to check the following:

• Fuel filter?
    • Also the return line has to be working for the pump to be working properly. Check to make sure it isn't pinched or obstructed. Blow compressed air through the line, you should hear it returning to the tank.
    • I've seen the wrong gas cap cause this trouble too.
    • The oil pressure switch is part of the fuel pump circuit. Check the connector and you can bypass it for testing.
    If your 2500 is a truck, some have suggested that it is easier to remove the bed, than drop the tank.
    I have always dropped the tank, and its a pain.

there is no anti theft on the truck,
    started to run rough, then just died, and now as stated starts then dies
    did replace the fuel filter, will measure the fuel pressure at the rail, but do not think i will get a accurate reading due the the pump not pumping, might switch out the oil pressure sender
    thanks

Default How to test fuel pump pressure

Quote Originally Posted by jeeptj19992001 View Post
    there is no anti theft on the truck,
    started to run rough, then just died, and now as stated starts then dies
    did replace the fuel filter, will measure the fuel pressure at the rail, but do not think i will get a accurate reading due the the pump not pumping, might switch out the oil pressure sender
    thanks
    Just a note, if you "open" the fuel circuit from the pump it will shut off. Opening the test port on the fuel rail without putting a gauge on it causes the pressure to drop on the return side of the circuit and the pump cuts off. The correct way to test the fuel pump is to use a gauge. A set of AC gauges will work in a pinch.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

They all have a anti theft code that the PCM uses to varify the BCM they set a code when the ignition is shut off that the two use to comunicate on start up.I would check power at pump it has to put some pressure out to get a first sart. Will it run on carb clean Does it cycle first time then not again

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

you should search Passlock Ive had this happen and its a nightmare. in the early 00s they installed a anti theft device into your ignition tumbler. if they start to fail they will shut of your fuel pump. making it look like your pumps gone bad. if you can hook up a scanner to you obII it may show a anti theft code.
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts