GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thumbs up Stalling 98 silverado

What's up guys and gals. I have a 1998 Silverado 5.7L ext cab. When I am driving the truck with the heater blower motor on it seems to idle fairly low. I replaced the alternator, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, cam position sensor and IAC motor. I am puzzled. Also the truck cuts off sometimes when I get ready to park with the blower on high, and shifting from drive to reverse or from reverse to drive. It starts right back up and runs the same way. Could the IAC motor be bad or not adjusted correctly? I know they tell you to adj to the one you take out the truck, but if that one was stuck or not fully in the neutral position when I took it off the truck and I put the new one in to those specs, wouldn't the truck run funny then? If the IAC plunger isn't long enough or too short, what would the responses be? Maybe what I am getting? Thanx for the help.

Default probably an easy fix

Clean the throttle body.

I had intermittent engine stalling. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, never stalled again.
    It may change, when it stalls. First my truck only stalled while in park, then when in drive at a red light. Then it would stall while driving. This was very hard to find, as it went on for over a year. It would stall every month or so. The fuel presure was on the low side, so I installed a new fuel pump, fuel filter & air filter.You can spray clean the MASS sensor.(Only use MASS cleaner!) Rare but a dirty MASS can cause stalling. I also removed and cleaned the key cylinder, there are magnets in there that collect metal fragments from the key which can send a signal to the ECM that your turning the key to the off position. Hope any of this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bennett View Post
    I had intermittent engine stalling. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, never stalled again.
    It may change, when it stalls. First my truck only stalled while in park, then when in drive at a red light. Then it would stall while driving. This was very hard to find, as it went on for over a year. It would stall every month or so. The fuel presure was on the low side, so I installed a new fuel pump, fuel filter & air filter.You can spray clean the MASS sensor.(Only use MASS cleaner!) Rare but a dirty MASS can cause stalling. I also removed and cleaned the key cylinder, there are magnets in there that collect metal fragments from the key which can send a signal to the ECM that your turning the key to the off position. Hope any of this helps.

x2 these are all good things to do.
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

Default Might have fixed it

Thanx guys, I'm gonna keep all these things in mind. I actually took the IAC motor back out and unscrewed the plunger a little bit more and, for now, it seems to be running a little bit better. At least it's not stalling yet. Good looking guys. Appreciate the advice. Thanx.