GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rear Differential

Does anyone know about how hard it would be to change the rear differential in my 98 K-1500? Does anyone have any ideas about what I could use to replace my rear differential, which does not have posi-traction? What about a locker rear end, or a limited slip?

If you are considering rebuilding your existing differential, you can put almost anything in there: a limited slip or a locker -- it all depends on your budget and what you want to end up with. If you have an open carrier and don't have to completely rebuild, there are a few "lunch-box" lockers that replace the spider gears that can be installed.

As far as how hard it is? From what I understand, the most difficult part of rebuilding a differential is setting up the gears. It isn't "difficult" per se, but the tolerances are very tight, and a mistake ruins your ring & pinion gears, and means you have to do it again. Usually this isn't recommended for the novice. If you have to ask how difficult it is, I'm thinking you want to think long and hard about setting up your gears yourself.

A lunchbox locker doesn't require any kind of gear set up, since it uses the existing carrier. If your existing differential is in good condition, and you just want to get the added traction, this may be an option worth considering.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World