GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Default How do I get the fan off to replace water pump

Hey,this isn't my day.I have a very leaky water pump on my 1998 Suburban.Unfortunately,the fan is attached to the water pump by a single big nut.When I turn the nut,the water pump shaft moves,so it doesn't unscrew.
    Any ideas? I'm planned to get a big adj wrench,and hit it with a hammer in the hopes of getting it to loosen, but I don't have high hopes for it.It looks like I need a special tool to hold the pulley while turning the screw?

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Be careful the treat on the nut is left you have to turn opposite
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

your assumption was right you need the fan clutch tool, theres many different setups for this wrench but they all do the same thing which is grab two bolts from infront of the fan so you can go behind and turn the shaft of the fan

a couple of helpful things,

- as Davandy said, sometimes there left handed threads dont torque it too much one way
    - after you break it loose you can spin it off by hand, becareful when you get too the end, the fan looks light, but its heavy, dont let it drop, or youll be doing, waterpump, and rad. (i know from experience lol)
    - Good Luck!

I've borrowed the fan clutch wrench from Autozone. They use to list as only fitting Ford engines, but the same wrench set fits my Suburban and my Explorer, so it's the same tool. I've also seen a few good ideas for homemade tools (like one guy who welded a piece of flat stock to a bar, then drilled two holes in it spaced so they would fit onto two of the water pump pulley bolts. Pull off two pulley bolts, attach the bar, and put the bolts back in).

My '98 5.7 fan clutch was normal threaded. Ford puts (or at least used to put) a statement on the fan shroud to tell which way to turn the fan clutch, I guess GM didn't/doesn't. It's pretty logical. They thread it so the rotation from the engine tightens the fan clutch nut. If you look at the direction the fan normally spins, you should be able to figure out which way to turn it to get it off.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Thanks guys,
    I finally got the fan off,and the water pump replaced.
    I did borrow autozones tool, but it didn't work on the Suburban-it just didn't fit between the 4 pulley bolts.It had several different "sizes" but none fit the Suburban.

I got lucky.I had a motorcycle shock preload adj tool.It fit over one bolt head while "leaning" on another.I also managed to jam it just behind the AC compressor.
    I put a 15" adj wrench on the big nut-hit it with a little maul.It broke loose immediately,and came off by hand.Yeah,Rumpamuro,thanks for the tip-it was heavy,and I had just installed a new radiator-and ther shroud was off so it would have done some damage.

The only thing left to do is to change the bypass hoses( 2 molded hoses that come out ot the water pump).I tried to use cut to size hose, but it is kinked!
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    PS-The fan waterpump was normal threaded.
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 05-07-2008 at 07:23 PM.

i got a large "Strap" wrench and it gets the clutch fan off of most cars....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

My problem right now!!!! Is there an easier way of getting it off I'm in a bad predicament!! Do spin that big nut clock wise or counter? Its aggrevating me at the moment n its 27 degrees in NY WTF

Any suggestions guys???

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Thanks guys,
    I finally got the fan off,and the water pump replaced.
    I did borrow autozones tool, but it didn't work on the Suburban-it just didn't fit between the 4 pulley bolts.It had several different "sizes" but none fit the Suburban.

I got lucky.I had a motorcycle shock preload adj tool.It fit over one bolt head while "leaning" on another.I also managed to jam it just behind the AC compressor.
    I put a 15" adj wrench on the big nut-hit it with a little maul.It broke loose immediately,and came off by hand.Yeah,Rumpamuro,thanks for the tip-it was heavy,and I had just installed a new radiator-and ther shroud was off so it would have done some damage.

The only thing left to do is to change the bypass hoses( 2 molded hoses that come out ot the water pump).I tried to use cut to size hose, but it is kinked!
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    PS-The fan waterpump was normal threaded.
    they make a metal posable spring to go inside the hoses on the cooling system, not sure that Auto Zone has them but i know Advance usually carries them all you have to do with those is put them on and bend the hose the same way the factory ones were bent and then install it and there ya go.