GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Locking diffs

Default Locking diffs

Anyone install a locking diff on their Burb?

I'm pretty sure my rear is open, as I've had cases where I'm spinning one wheel in mud.

I've been doing a lot of researching and looking lately.

One thought is to install the G80 locker.

Eaton looks like they make a rear and front elocker for my generation (98). I looked into the ARB locker but I only see a rear application.

Of course installing a front locker is probably overkill, but that is how I am sometimes.

Suggestions? I suspect installing just a rear locker or a rear elocker should be all that I have to worry about. I do go off road, but not usually in deep mud.

Cool locking diffs

If your Burb is a 3/4 ton ARB makes front and rear air lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    If your Burb is a 3/4 ton ARB makes front and rear air lockers.
    It is only a 1500.

Of course the thought came across my mind to trade up to a 2500 first.

Blog Entries

so no front locker for '99 model k1500's that bites..... I was lookin to beef this rig up.

Of course the thought came across my mind to trade up to a 2500 first.
    Probably better. If you have found a locker for the 8.25 IFS front, you'll probably end up needing a good supply of axleshafts.

BTW, as you are the first to claim to have found a locker for the 8.25 IFS, care to post a link to this alleged e-locker that fits our front ends? Not to be a doubting Thomas, but, as weak as our front diffs are, I won't believe that someone makes a locker for the front until I see it.

And, FWIW, I like my rear ARB. It's a little sticky sometimes (doesn't want to unlock), and it cost a pretty penny, but I'm pleased overall.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    Probably better. If you have found a locker for the 8.25 IFS front, you'll probably end up needing a good supply of axleshafts.

BTW, as you are the first to claim to have found a locker for the 8.25 IFS, care to post a link to this alleged e-locker that fits our front ends? Not to be a doubting Thomas, but, as weak as our front diffs are, I won't believe that someone makes a locker for the front until I see it.

And, FWIW, I like my rear ARB. It's a little sticky sometimes (doesn't want to unlock), and it cost a pretty penny, but I'm pleased overall.
    You are right, I downloaded the Eaton catalog and read it wrong.

So it is for a 9.25 IFS. Guess the question is if I want to get serious, how much would it take to swap to a 9.25 ifs, or just get a 2500.

Go for the 2500. Attempting to swap out the front axle on that new of a truck is quite a task and very expensive. If you want a 3/4 ton, find one that's already 3/4 ton.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post

Well, I think I've come to my senses.

I don't plan on rock crawling this thing, and probably not mud bogging either. They have solutions for the rear.

Rather than whole hog dump the rig and get into a huge expensive project. I'll probably consider one of the options in the rear. I'm guessing you'd have to get into some serious muck to need a locking front anyway.

Here is one of the articles that made me think they had an elocker for a front diff on a 1500.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...view/index.asp

Didn't notice the date, but from no further updates, they must have came to the conclusion that the 8.25 is too weak.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...p?topic=8417.0

Anyway, posting for posterity sake, in case anyone else searches for this topic here.

Default hmm not sure what its called

iv heard some where instead of a locker what you can do is weld the diff together so its one solid moving part. iv heard its called a "lincoln locker" here is an artical i found hope it helps.

Lincoln Lockers
    A Lincoln Locker is a homemade spool created by welding the OEM carrier so that the spider gears no longer turn. This is known as a "Lincoln Locker" by adopting the name of a popular brand of welding equipment made by Lincoln. This method can vary anywhere from relatively strong to weak and brittle depending on the strength of the carrier being used and the quality of the welds and where the welds are placed. In many cases welds thought to be strong are not and break under the stress. Lincoln Lockers merely replace the minimal cost of a mini spool which has the same net results in traction but can be removed later and the spider gears put back in place.

iv seen on the tv show "trucks" on spike that you can do this to make you have a solid posi axel, not real sure on this didnt want to try it when i had to replace my rear end so i hope this is of value to you in some way
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 323 5.3L V8
    -K&N 57 Series Generation II - Cold Air Intake
    -JVC Deck - KD-HDR50

-New Transmission
    -New Rear End
    -New Alternator, Battery and Starter
    -Key-less Entry (Thanks aboston)
    -Bed Liner w/mat

-
    Blue Xenon Headlight
    Bulbs (High/Low)

Other Toys