GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Gas Gauge

Default Gas Gauge

I've heard of alot of older Chevys having this problem. My gas gauge is constalty changing. I noticed when I come to a stop, is when it seems to happen the most. It will shoot down to empty and then up to full. Does anybody know what this problem is?

My 93 does it, especially on less that a 1/2 tank. Bad sender. It doesn't do it enough to bother me. I just keep the tank filled. I figure eventually the pump will crap out and then I can fix both problems at the same time.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Yea it used to not bother me but it has gotten worse over the time. But mine is the same way, when its over a half a tank it's alot better. It's just hard for me to keep it over that lol

My 1990 Chevy z71 was doing this and ended up being the sending unit, I finally got tired of it and bought a new sending unit on Ebay for under 50 dollars including shipping and that took care of the problem and its been in for a couple of years. BG1

Talking

Ya its normal I had a 94 cheyenne stepside that did that its just the gas moving in the tank and the float moves from the gas shifting around its nothing to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by chrismx104 View Post
    I've heard of alot of older Chevys having this problem. My gas gauge is constalty changing. I noticed when I come to a stop, is when it seems to happen the most. It will shoot down to empty and then up to full. Does anybody know what this problem is?
    Finally, someone who has the same problem I do. Both of my GMC's had the same problem. I believe, after all my research, that the float on the fuel pump gets stuck. Both of my trucks started doing this after I installed aftermarket exhausts. Maybe it's related to that.